General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User lightbeing
(newbie) Wed 12-Jan-11 11:42:08
Print Post

FTTC rollout to my area?

[link to this post]

My exchange Bradwell Abbey (SMBA) in Milton Keynes is showing an FTTC status of "Available in some areas", on querying several ISPs it shows that it is not available in my area which is Bolbeck Park. Should I be optimistic? realistically when should I expect availability?
Many thanks
Standard User Spasch
(experienced) Wed 12-Jan-11 11:52:08
Print Post

Re: FTTC rollout to my area?

[re: lightbeing] [link to this post]

What does the BT Wholesale checker say about your phone number?
Standard User lightbeing
(newbie) Wed 12-Jan-11 12:12:56
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

BT Wholesale says:
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 512Kbps. However, due to the length of your line, an engineer visit may be required, who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 1.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 2.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 2Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

Thank you for your interest

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mccann
(committed) Wed 12-Jan-11 13:02:26
Print Post

I'm in the same position, however, I've found the cab, its about say 500 odd yards from my house, tried the checker and it says I can't get it, however checked the details of the filling station across the road from the cab and its available to them.

I live in Northern Ireland and I know the gov put a lot of money into the upgrades here specifically for businesses so I'm hoping that its just them being offered first then residential.
Standard User nelix01
(member) Wed 12-Jan-11 13:07:48
Print Post

[re: mccann] [link to this post]

You can check Northern Ireland Exchanges and CAB's HERE

BTBroadband
DSL Max
Standard User mysticeddy
(learned) Wed 12-Jan-11 13:14:01
Print Post

You won't be receiving it under the current rollout then. Bradwell Abbey is a FTTP trial exchange too. There's a thread on here with the areas that have been enabled for it on here somewhere.

Edit: Found some info here that Bolbeck Park was part of an initial trial for FTTP a few years ago. It's just a question of whether the infrastructure was left connected or abandoned after the trial concluded.

Edited by mysticeddy (Wed 12-Jan-11 13:25:33)

Standard User lightbeing
(newbie) Wed 12-Jan-11 15:35:49
Print Post

[re: mysticeddy] [link to this post]

That is correct mysticeddy, back then I was one of the trialist of the FTTP trial at that time.
Now how would one go about to reactivate the fibre if it is still in place?
Also, how would I get to know if my area is going to be included in future rollouts?
I guess there is no hope for this to happen soon!
Thanks
Standard User mysticeddy
(learned) Wed 12-Jan-11 16:22:03
Print Post

Sorry, I assumed you had recently moved there and didn't know about it. I doubt Openreach took the fibre out when the trial ended, so there's a good chance of getting it reactivated, depending on how it's distributed to the houses (GPON or point to point links). If it's the former, then they should be able to utilise for the current product offerings they have for other areas currently trialling it.

The only path I could advise going down is contacting ISPs currently involved with the live trials in other areas of MK and explain the situation to them and you would like to be reactivated. Plusnet seem to have been pretty helpful with people regarding the current trials so it could be worth giving them a call.
Standard User tallseabird
(member) Wed 12-Jan-11 16:26:24
Print Post

Check that it is the right cabinet, I'm in Antrim and I can see a cab 150 yards from my house but it is across the street and the houses across the street can get it but I can't! I must be served by a different cab. I live just under 1Km from the exchange and the FTTC cab is 150 yards further away - I'm guessing that the FTTC cabs are designed to serve houses further away from the exchange - and I am just inside that limit.
Standard User orly
(experienced) Sat 15-Jan-11 21:22:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by mccann:
I'm in the same position, however, I've found the cab, its about say 500 odd yards from my house, tried the checker and it says I can't get it, however checked the details of the filling station across the road from the cab and its available to them.

I live in Northern Ireland and I know the gov put a lot of money into the upgrades here specifically for businesses so I'm hoping that its just them being offered first then residential.

Means you aren't on the same cabinet then.

There is no financial benefit to BT running the fibre to cabinets and then only offering it to some customers on those cabinets. Either they all have access or none.

---
BT Infinity 8th July 2010
Connected to: P23 KILMAINE ROAD BT19 6DT (NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up

Previously:
BT Broadband, roughly 4mbit sync
4KM line / 54dB atten / 9dB SNR / Netgear DG834GT
  Print Thread

Jump to