General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Sw33n3y
(experienced) Thu 13-Jan-11 15:26:14
Print Post

FTTC (Infinity say no, Wholesale say yes :S)

[link to this post]

BT Infinity say:
BT Infinity is not currently due to be rolled out in your area.Register and we will keep you up to date about the BT Infinity rollout.

BT Wholesale:
Exchange BOTHWELL

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 3.5Mbps and 7.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 14.3Mbps and upstream line speed of 4.1Mbps.

Sam Knows:
FTTC status: Available in some areas

I'm with ADSL24 and they are saying the same as the wholesale checker so are none the wiser as to why one thing says I can and the other says I can't get it.
Is there any way of getting a definite answer?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 13-Jan-11 15:33:58
Print Post

Re: FTTC (Infinity say no, Wholesale say yes :S)

[re: Sw33n3y] [link to this post]

Are you using the actual number in the BTW checker?

Post code and address checkers are not reliable - it says so.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User Sw33n3y
(experienced) Thu 13-Jan-11 15:36:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sorry, should've stated that yes, using the exact number. Have tried using the main house phone number too and that says the same. The 5mb estimate is wrong however.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 13-Jan-11 15:39:10
Print Post

Infinity is still sticking to a 15Meg minimum from checker before placing order, Wholesale and Openreach are more relaxed about this figure.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Sw33n3y
(experienced) Thu 13-Jan-11 15:43:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Am I right in reading that as I can't order direct through BT due to their estimate having me below the threshold but through a reseller I can?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 13-Jan-11 16:00:43
Print Post

Any FTTC seller, (it isn't resold Infinity - that's just BT Broadband's name for their FTTC service).

ADSL24 are the ones to ask if they are your ISP. They have accepted under 15Mbps estimates before. Unless you want to leave them of course, there are others.

Be aware that if the actual connection speed is below 15Mbps on any ISP the installation is undone by Openreach.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User cuthbei
(regular) Thu 13-Jan-11 16:52:19
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I'm sure you are correct. But why on earth would Openreach want to undo the installation? More BT madness?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 13-Jan-11 17:05:48
Print Post

[re: cuthbei] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cuthbei:
I'm sure you are correct. But why on earth would Openreach want to undo the installation? More BT madness?
Exactly my thoughts, but several engineers on here have confirmed those are their instructions. All the work done, and if it sync's at 13Mbps undo it all?

Though there is a 5Mbps product on the way I believe.

Standard User New_Londoner
(member) Thu 13-Jan-11 21:12:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I think is is possible for FTTC to be available in an area from Openreach but not yet on offer by BT Retail. This may only be a timing issue if the exchange has only just been made available to service providers, but you could, theoretically at least, have a situation where the Openreach and Wholesale services were available but INfinity was not being offered for sale.

I suspect you're right thought that the issue in this case is down to estimated line speeds.

---

All opinions expressed by me are my own

BT Infinity
Speedtest result (excluding 2Mbps for BT Vision)
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 13-Jan-11 22:11:43
Print Post

[re: New_Londoner] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by New_Londoner:
I think is is possible for FTTC to be available in an area from Openreach but not yet on offer by BT Retail. This may only be a timing issue if the exchange has only just been made available to service providers, but you could, theoretically at least, have a situation where the Openreach and Wholesale services were available but INfinity was not being offered for sale.
Several people have had OP FTTC (via BTW) installed by resellers other than BT Broadband before Infinity was available, in just the way you theorise. The estimable Bill Ford being a case in point.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to