General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Uzzy
(member) Fri 14-Jan-11 19:13:35
Print Post

Got Infinity installed

[link to this post]

Right, so to start things off.

The BT checker estimated that I would get about 25.5Mb down and 5.5 up. Now I've heard that the checker is just being a little conservative and people have been estimated much lower and got the full 40Mb. So I thought, hopefully I too might get as close to the 40Mb mark. Previously on ADSL Max I was getting 5.0-6.5Mb so all the more reason to think I should get the full speed, right?

Well anyway, I got Infinity installed 2 days ago and my connection seems to top at 20Mb. I did a test on the BT Speed Tester and gave me an IP Profile of 21891. Does this mean that's the best my line will handle or will it hopefully increase the profile? I've only disconnected the modem and HH twice on the day I had it installed so I could neaten where the work was done and so far it's been on for 1 day 6 hrs. My upload speed however is fine and tops at 8Mb.
Standard User griff_90
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 14-Jan-11 19:23:34
Print Post

Re: Got Infinity installed

[re: Uzzy] [link to this post]

Regarding your IP Profile the DLM seems to have a mind of it's own lately.

I had FTTC installed in August and my IP Profile was 38,718kbps for the next four months. Then one day in mid December my IP Profile dropped all the way down to 22,000kbps and now changes every single day. Yesterday it was back up to 38,718kbps for example and this morning it was 26,259kbps. Tonight it's changed again.

Edited by griff_90 (Fri 14-Jan-11 19:23:47)

Standard User newsupermrc
(newbie) Fri 14-Jan-11 20:12:42
Print Post

I may be mistaken but I believe the 10day period is still in use for infinity. What did the OR engineer sync at on his tester?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Uzzy
(member) Fri 14-Jan-11 20:27:47
Print Post

[re: newsupermrc] [link to this post]

All he told me was that you should get 27-30Mb. But I don't know. I haven't once synced at those speeds. From what I understand your line may go up and down during the 10 day period but mine so far has been stuck on 20Mb. I hope that's not the best that I will get. Strange because, a friend of mine who lives 5 minutes away from me could barely get above 2.5-3Mbit on ADSL Max and is now getting 33-34Mbit. Hmm.
Standard User New_Londoner
(member) Fri 14-Jan-11 21:16:27
Print Post

The speed you got on ADSL will have no bearing on FTTC as that was related to the cable distance from the exchange, not from the cabinet. Your friend may well be closer to a cabinet than you are, but further away from the exchange.

---

All opinions expressed by me are my own

BT Infinity
Speedtest result (excluding 2Mbps for BT Vision)
Standard User Uzzy
(member) Fri 14-Jan-11 21:59:16
Print Post

[re: New_Londoner] [link to this post]

If I'm correct as to which cabinet I'm connected to, then it's only 120m away. If not that then another one which is 160m away.

So, does this mean that potentially I'm stuck with 20Mb? Will the profile increase?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 14-Jan-11 23:04:10
Print Post

If you are correct about the cabinet then you should get the full speed.

Are you sure they are BT cabinets with the new fibre ones close by the old one? Many people confuse them with Virgin Media cabinets, which are much closer together.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User New_Londoner
(member) Fri 14-Jan-11 23:04:41
Print Post

If you' really are that close then I'd expect something around 40Mb, based on my own speed, however it depends on the line quality etc as always..

---

All opinions expressed by me are my own

BT Infinity
Speedtest result (excluding 2Mbps for BT Vision)
Standard User Uzzy
(member) Sat 15-Jan-11 20:33:55
Print Post

[re: griff_90] [link to this post]

So what would be the best thing to do now? Wait out the 10 days? I restarted both the HH and Modem today to see if it would raise the profile but it dropped down to 20005 from 21891. I really hope I'm not stuck with those kind of speeds when I should be getting close to 40Mb.

Any ideas?
Standard User orly
(experienced) Sat 15-Jan-11 21:10:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by Uzzy:
So what would be the best thing to do now? Wait out the 10 days? I restarted both the HH and Modem today to see if it would raise the profile but it dropped down to 20005 from 21891. I really hope I'm not stuck with those kind of speeds when I should be getting close to 40Mb.

Any ideas?

Why should you be getting close to 40mbit? The checker didn't even suggest close to that and your speed isn't a million miles off its guess.

Sometimes we get 27mbit, sometimes 20, sometimes 14 and occasionally if it's having a rest it'll run at 7mbit for an hour or two...the speed moves around.

---
BT Infinity 8th July 2010
Connected to: P23 KILMAINE ROAD BT19 6DT (NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up

Previously:
BT Broadband, roughly 4mbit sync
4KM line / 54dB atten / 9dB SNR / Netgear DG834GT
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to