General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wirelesspacman
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 16-Jan-11 10:11:08
Print Post

What do the early users think of FTTC?

[link to this post]

Now that we have quite a few early adopters on FTTC, I was wondering how users were finding it compared to the "old" adsl products? Yes the headline speeds via speedtest sites are a huge improvement, but what about other aspects?

Be interesting to get some feedback, and no doubt be useful to those out there considering whether or not it is worth going for.

Questions:

1) what product (speed of actual connection etc) were you previously on?
2) what product (speed of actual connection etc) are you now on with FTTC?
3) do you see any significant difference with "normal" web browsing? If so what?
4) do you see any significant difference with online gaming? If so what?
5) do you see any significant difference when using iPlayer etc in streaming mode? If so what?
6) do you see any significant difference when downloading Windows etc updates? If so what?
7) do you see any significant difference when using the connection for work (eg VPN)? If so what?
8) is there anything else that you see a signifcant improvement with? If so what?

cheers

Peter

Loop Scorpio Ltd
Ledbury Broadband; Highnam Broadand; Newent Broadband; Painswick Broadband
=======================
Symmetric Pro

Now also offering 20 Mbps symmetric broadband!
Standard User Scoot
(regular) Sun 16-Jan-11 15:11:35
Print Post

Re: What do the early users think of FTTC?

[re: wirelesspacman] [link to this post]

Sorry I cannot add info to your post but I'd also like to know if gaming pings are just as good when the family are also using the net.

I don't play the likes of Modern Warfare Black Ops on my PS3 if I know my sister is on BBC iPlayer because I know my ping will suffer. Is this the case on FTTC?
Standard User griff_90
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 16-Jan-11 16:28:57
Print Post

Be Unlimted - Synced at 16/17mbps

IDNet FTTC Home Fibre Plus - IP Profile generally bounces between 38718kbps and 31000kbps.

3) do you see any significant difference with "normal" web browsing? If so what?

Not really but then I wouldn't expect it.

Slightly lower latency but that's about it.

5) do you see any significant difference when using iPlayer etc in streaming mode? If so what?

I've not really noticed any difference but then again my previous connection wasn't exactly slow.

6) do you see any significant difference when downloading Windows etc updates? If so what?

The odd update? Nope.. After a reformat when there 501 updates to download then the quicker connection comes in handy.

7) do you see any significant difference when using the connection for work (eg VPN)? If so what?

I've not really used it for these purposes. Some VNC but obviously that's dependant on the other connection too.

8) is there anything else that you see a signifcant improvement with? If so what?

Uploading to FTP is significantly quicker so it handy if you work with websites/forums etc where you need to upload multiple files. Downloading large files is obviously much quicker too.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tcbandituk
(learned) Sun 16-Jan-11 20:46:25
Print Post

Sky Unlimited getting about 3.5 down and 1/2 up.

BT Infinity unlimited

Faster response, most noticable on YouTube etc.

No

No.

Download speed

Yes, uploading files is significantly quicker i.e. a file that took 80 minutes to upload previously only takes 4 minutes now.

8) is there anything else that you see a significant improvement with? If so what?
Not an improvement (quite the opposite) but it seems to drop the connection a lot more than Sky did, but it's bearable i.e. only every 4 days or so.

Edited by tcbandituk (Sun 16-Jan-11 20:47:47)

Standard User Paul_H
(learned) Mon 17-Jan-11 00:07:15
Print Post

Sky Unlimited LLU 1.5Mbps Down 768Kbps Up 4.7Km from Exchange but 8.7KM line length

Aquiss FTTC 45 - 30Mbps Down 10Mbps Up approx 1.25Km from Cab

Depends on the page but those with embedded video or numerous picture load significantly faster

Not a gamer, so no idea. Although when doing speed test the pings vary from 17ms to 60ms

Yes, previously tended to download as even SD streams would stutter and re buffer. Can now watch HD streams perfectly whilst doing other stuff.

Yes, they come down in a fraction of the time

Not particularly but previously could not do anything else whilst VPN'ed in as it would sometimes timeout. Can watch iPlayer on one machine and have the work laptop VPN'ed in to work no problem.

Newsgroup downloads are lightening fast now. Previously had to rate limit downloads to 100Kbps during the day otherwise even general surfing was painful. Can now run downloads flat out at 3Mbps and still do other stuff.

Because of the very long line length and therefore the low speed going to FTTC was a no brainer for me. However as the BT estimate is only 11.6Mbps down for my line Inifinity wasn't an option but now I'm glad it wasn't as the speed and service from Aquiss has been great.
Standard User krazykizza
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Jan-11 08:32:44
Print Post

[re: Paul_H] [link to this post]

However as the BT estimate is only 11.6Mbps down for my line Inifinity wasn't an option but now I'm glad it wasn't as the speed and service from Aquiss has been great.

I believe the threshold has been lowered to 5mbps now

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AOL > Virgin Media > Tiscali > Falconnet > UKFSN > Norfolk Internet
2mbps > Shapped 512k > 1mbps! > 6.5mbps > 4.5mbps > 6.5mbps
ADSL Joy. 31db att, 9db SNR, EntaFail.
Standard User orly
(experienced) Thu 20-Jan-11 23:29:43
Print Post

ADSL2+ at around 4mbit
25mbit down, 7mbit up
Nothing terribly noticeable
Not in game play. Pings are slightly lower but again not a big difference
It's significantly faster to load and smoother playing (no buffering)
Updates are a lot faster to download obviously
n/a
Newsgroups become comically fast to download from

---
BT Infinity 8th July 2010
Connected to: P23 Kilmaine Road, Bangor, BT19 6DT (NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up

Previously:
BT Broadband, roughly 4mbit sync
4KM line / 54dB atten / 9dB SNR / Netgear DG834GT

Edited by orly (Thu 20-Jan-11 23:30:46)

Standard User maniac886
(member) Fri 21-Jan-11 17:52:30
Print Post

02 Broadband 12Meg Down/1 Meg Up.
Aquiss 34 Meg Down/8 Meg Up.
No noticeable difference.
Yes definitely, there is less lag and I am seeing myself hosting a lot more games.
N/A As I have a Macbook Pro.
The obvious key difference is insanely fast downloads through newsgroups!

Edited by maniac886 (Fri 21-Jan-11 17:53:04)

Standard User maniac886
(member) Fri 21-Jan-11 17:56:22
Print Post

[re: Scoot] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Scoot:
Sorry I cannot add info to your post but I'd also like to know if gaming pings are just as good when the family are also using the net.

I don't play the likes of Modern Warfare Black Ops on my PS3 if I know my sister is on BBC iPlayer because I know my ping will suffer. Is this the case on FTTC?

I play on Black Ops on the PS3 whilst other individuals are using the connection, either streaming or playing on games through Xbox live and I have never had any lag, even in the evenings when the connection speed is usually reduced.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 21-Jan-11 18:09:06
Print Post

[re: maniac886] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by maniac886:
... even in the evenings when the connection speed is usually reduced.
?
Connection speed reduced?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to