General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Michael_Chare
(member) Fri 21-Jan-11 16:59:38
Print Post

How successful is FTTC?

[link to this post]

How successful is FTTC in terms of user take up?

Is there any published data showing what proportion of ADSL users move to FTTC where it is available, and how does the actual take up compare with BT's planning assumptions?

How to BT decide whether to install FTC at a particular exchange. What assumptions do they make in determinging whether a particular exchange is financially viable?

How would I go about persuading BT that a particular exchange is viable?

Is there any chance that BT would install an FTTC cabiinet where the cable joint(s) are below a double manhole cover?

Michael Chare
Standard User orly
(experienced) Sat 22-Jan-11 01:26:06
Print Post

Re: How successful is FTTC?

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
How successful is FTTC in terms of user take up?

Is there any published data showing what proportion of ADSL users move to FTTC where it is available, and how does the actual take up compare with BT's planning assumptions?

How to BT decide whether to install FTC at a particular exchange. What assumptions do they make in determinging whether a particular exchange is financially viable?

How would I go about persuading BT that a particular exchange is viable?

Is there any chance that BT would install an FTTC cabiinet where the cable joint(s) are below a double manhole cover?

I suspect a big part of the decision is looking at % ADSL take up. During the ADSL rollout from 2000 onwards they selected the big exchanges first and the cities. This time round they have the benefit of up to 10 years worth of take up figures for each exchange area and can link that to cabinets. Cabinets with the most internet users will likely see it first.

---
BT Infinity 8th July 2010
Connected to: P23 Kilmaine Road, Bangor, BT19 6DT (NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up

Previously:
BT Broadband, roughly 4mbit sync
4KM line / 54dB atten / 9dB SNR / Netgear DG834GT
  Print Thread

Jump to