General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User NationsurfUK
(newbie) Fri 21-Jan-11 20:59:45
Print Post

Sky FTTC

[link to this post]

www.skyhispeedbb.com
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 21-Jan-11 21:08:31
Print Post

Re: Sky FTTC

[re: NationsurfUK] [link to this post]

Errrrm:-
Exchanges
ready for trial:
Early 2010

Muswell Hill, London
Whitchurch, South Glamorgan
Glasgow, Halfway
.Mid 2010

More exchanges will be switched to enable further trials. Register today so we can let you know when they are being planned.

And you still haven't read your PM.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User mysticeddy
(learned) Fri 21-Jan-11 21:11:14
Print Post

Yes the fact that the site was up and running ages ago and hasn't been updated seems to have passed over the top of your head!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User NationsurfUK
(newbie) Fri 21-Jan-11 23:56:33
Print Post

[re: mysticeddy] [link to this post]

Sorry, There was more to that above link, what should have come up is;
With talktalk and sky slowly introducing FTTC, Should ADSL Pricing fall?

Where do we cross the line with same price huge speed gap?
Standard User nogg
(newbie) Sat 22-Jan-11 08:54:48
Print Post

[re: mysticeddy] [link to this post]

I'd like to hear some more about this. I noticed that site a while ago, and there is very little news. I hear Sky are planning a rollout of this service, but is it really just a question of wait patiently, or is there some better current info available somewhere?
Standard User Ignitionnet
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Jan-11 09:41:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by NationsurfUK:
Sorry, There was more to that above link, what should have come up is;
With talktalk and sky slowly introducing FTTC, Should ADSL Pricing fall?

Where do we cross the line with same price huge speed gap?

Talk Talk are charging more for FTTC than for their normal product.

FTTC costs ISPs more to provide than ADSL.

The only ones who are offering it for the same price are BT Retail, presumably as a market grab.

ADSL pricing shouldn't fall, no, quality is compromised quite enough at the current price points in many cases.

Zero indication that Sky are turning this tiny trial into a genuine rollout yet. Most Sky customers aren't going to be particularly interested in the product (Not my words, those of a member of Sky's staff).

Hopefully we'll both be pleasantly surprised. I heard some rumours and some indications that things were happening, all has been quiet for a while.
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Sun 23-Jan-11 00:48:16
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

I gave up waiting and went with BT - I had a "marginal" (IMO) 4 Mbps -- if I'd had a faster connection I probably wouldn't have.

I had hoped Be/Sky would provide but not enough activity and too many negatives to consider TalkTalk

Happy with the decision -- even though the homehub wireless is useless (I use a seperate access point)
Standard User Bob_s2
(learned) Sun 23-Jan-11 09:40:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

What I think is need is a totally independent Fibre Local loop. The problem at present is BT own the local loop. The regulator is doing its best to open it up but as BT own it they are going to be keen to keep competition out.

A fibre loop has almost infinate capacity at present. If BT did not own it but it was owned by a company that was just responsible for it but did not provide any end user services it would be in its interest to get as many ISP;s etc using it. The exact oposite to at present. It could also carry TV services so everyone in the UK would have a choice of say BBC, Virgin. Sky and whatever other ones there are. Possibly the existing TV tranmitter network could go.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 23-Jan-11 09:53:39
Print Post

[re: Bob_s2] [link to this post]

If BT did not own it but it was owned by a company that was just responsible for it but did not provide any end user services it would be in its interest to get as many ISP;s etc using it.

However the "open access" model that you describe has in general failed. H2O Networks, Ashby FTTP, South Yorks Digital Region, various local authority white elephants have all failed to get on board either any or sufficient known ISPs to do as you suggest.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User Bob_s2
(learned) Sun 23-Jan-11 10:25:49
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
If BT did not own it but it was owned by a company that was just responsible for it but did not provide any end user services it would be in its interest to get as many ISP;s etc using it.

However the "open access" model that you describe has in general failed. H2O Networks, Ashby FTTP, South Yorks Digital Region, various local authority white elephants have all failed to get on board either any or sufficient known ISPs to do as you suggest.

They are small local schemes which probably would not work. What is realy needed is a true independent local loop. Being small local networks their costs are going to be high as well. Cable in the UK did not really take off untill all the various small cable networks were merged into a single entity

It would also bring down costs. Virgin would no longer need their own cable network. Currently where virgin has cable you have two expensive networks that need to be maintained. The BT one & the Virgin one

An independent fibre local loop could also encourage regional TV something that the UK does not really have at present. For that to really work though the BBC neds to be scalled back and the TV licence fee reduced to probably half what it is at present
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to