General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Trolltamer
(regular) Fri 21-Jan-11 22:51:46
Print Post

FTTC and DLM

[link to this post]

Has anyone fallen foul of DLM on FTTC yet?? I have had 1 line since October 2010.... was fine, well in aspect of synch....throughput V.POOR!! ISP blamed BT but since then i know thats not the case always!!

But my main question is.......Has anyone had a line problem and got their SNRM/Profile reset as my ISP says it can't be done! I think thats rubbish..... but ....... i don't know 100%

My second line has a profile of 38,717 and when installed had a SNRM of 16dB as did my first line, but now i can't get anything above 37,133...... not the end of the world .... I know but annoying!!!

If anyone has had their profile reset it would be nice to hear from you!

Cheers

Dave
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 21-Jan-11 23:07:53
Print Post

Re: FTTC and DLM

[re: Trolltamer] [link to this post]

What are you on about? (In as friendly a tone of voice as possible for that question).

Which ISP for starters? That may give a clue, just like it does on ADSLx. Not all throughput provisions are equal. Your profile says O2 LLU. Is it IDNet, where you mentioned the subject in November?

If you read this thread it long ago went slightly off topic and into the FTTC DLM in general. Billford's posts are particularly useful, and he's in IDNet FTTC.

You are really wondering where that profile has gone? Or do you mean download speed? (And by the way I find the sentence where you give the profiles baffling. Which line has what profile, as you seem to say the second line has 38717 but can't get above 37133). I get the impression you may have been playing around with reconnections and so on, which could be bad news given what is in that thread.

Where do you get the SNRM values from? I don't think anyone else has managed to find any stats at all.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 22-Jan-11 10:28:08
Print Post

there's more than one option for the DLM for starters, so ask the ISP which you're on.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 22-Jan-11 13:26:40
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
there's more than one option for the DLM for starters
Got any details yarwell please? I'd like to get myself clued up on it.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 22-Jan-11 13:27:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

shall I Google it, or shall you smile Stable, superstable and standard from memory. Openreach NGA docs.

Section 3.2.3 of SIN 472 (WBC) issue 1.8 talks about the three options.

the thing I quoted earlier "2.2.5 Dynamic Line Management
Dynamic Line Management (DLM) is employed in GEA-FTTC. DLM constantly
manages lines to maintain a target stability. It does this for as long as the product
exists." is the FTTC specific bit, I believe from a training doc that the three options apply to FTTC as well so presumably Openreach's DLM on FTTC has a set of parameters to match the three wholesale options.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.

Edited by yarwell (Sat 22-Jan-11 13:43:01)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 22-Jan-11 15:52:19
Print Post

That's great thanks, enough to go on smile. I just wondered if you already had more detailed links.

ISP Representative DaveTomlinson
(isp) Sat 22-Jan-11 19:45:25
Print Post

We have the same standard, stable and super stable options on FTTC as we do on 21CN ADSL2+ and they are supposed to be similar in how they work. We've not done any DLM profile resets ourselves but have seen them done by Openreach as part of fault investigations.

Regards,

Dave Tomlinson
PlusNet Product Team
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Trolltamer
(regular) Sun 23-Jan-11 22:30:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Firstly thanks for all the replies.

Sorry i should of made it a lot clearer. About 150 metres from Cab in a straight line Attn of 7dB on both lines.

Line 1 - IDnet installed Oct 2010 when installed had max sync and SNRM of 16dB
Line 2 - BT Infinity installed Dec 2010 when installed had max sync and SNRM of 16dB

I only know this as the nice BTW engineer(s) showed me on his hand held JDSU (i think thats what they called them!)

Line 1 - now is the one that seems to have a problem, after the second line got installed the profile dropped to 37000 ish...... I have rebooted the modem once a week to see if its got any better!!

I can't believe i have lost 10dB snrm? or maybe i have? Hence why i think DLM has kicked in. I will ask IDnet the question as to what i am currently set to.

I have had many thoughts on this....

1. Cross Talk (but the other line that runs in the same cable is fine)
2. They had to "tone" the line to find the pair at the other end and i take it that would of caused errors? and started DLM
3. We had to disconnect the line and the power a few times as i now have 8 plugs buy my 2 phone lines/FTTC lines

A comparison of the 2 lines after 1 month....... BT out of peak hours 6-12pm 37mbps all the time....dips to 20mbps lowest i have seen (fingers crossed it stays like that)

IDnet better now than in the first few months....... but after 12pm it can go as low as 5mbps with pings of 120ms when there off peak kicks in! Generally good at peaktimes now! But was dire in the first month.

Hope that makes sence!

Cheers

Dave
Standard User Trolltamer
(regular) Sun 23-Jan-11 22:39:33
Print Post

[re: DaveTomlinson] [link to this post]

Hi Dave,

Do you know what the difference is with the 3 profiles?

TIA

Dave
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 23-Jan-11 22:53:59
Print Post

smile
That's a lot more understandable, apart from a random fact that you throw in tongue.

I get the feeling there are three issues.

First I think the second line or someone else's FTTC will be the cause of the lower sync/profile on the first. But there could be some sort of fault. With the little we know so far about FTTC it's impossible to know.

It isn't likely to be different routes back to the exchange, that's all we can almost certainly rule out, but don't forget from the fibre cab back to the old cab is copper, and on to you from there is all old copper and line proximity. Your two-pair line only goes as far as the pole or first junction box, and the two can then go differently to the cab.

Second, it is highly possible that IDNet backhaul provision was inadequate in the early days. Getting WBC handover capacity right is a nightmare on WBC, and not easy on WBMC. I don't know which they use, probably WBMC. (See my website for the difference). They have probably added a fair bit.

Third, BT Broadband ADSLx and FTTC does seem to suffer from considerable congestion, as you say, but they have tools in place to ease the pressure by throttling the biggest demanders. IDNet do not, so far as I'm aware. At congested times I would imagine on any ISP the effect will be far more noticable at FTTC speeds than at ADSLx ones.

That's interesting info though. Maybe BT FTTC won't compare as badly with others as its ADSLx products do. But it's early days. They may just have geared up quicker and the crunch is yet to come, whereas smaller players may gradually improve.

Oh - the random fact smile. "I can't believe i have lost 10dB snrm". Uhhh? Where does that come from?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to