General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rhino7
(newbie) Sun 23-Jan-11 17:17:12
Print Post

Street Cabinet Location

[link to this post]

Hi,

My exchange is due to be upgraded to fibre later this year and I've been trying to find the location of my line's street cabinet. I've looked around the area and can't see any that are anywhere near to me. Is there any way that I can find out where my cabinet is (either on-line or by contacting BT)?

Any help is much appreciated.
Standard User WWWombat
(learned) Mon 24-Jan-11 05:17:15
Print Post

Re: Street Cabinet Location

[re: rhino7] [link to this post]

There *was* a way, but Openreach got that map removed from the website.

One possible way is if you know the postcode for your street and surrounding streets. Put those in the DSL checker, and watch how the speed prediction (for fibre *only*) changes.
It will probably predict around 39Mbps for properties next to a cabinet, and around 30Mbps around 500m away, and so on.

Of course, cables follow their own route, and you can't predict exactly which way they go ( ours is not the closest cabinet), but it can help.

If you don't know postcodes, streetmap.co.uk will help there
Standard User rhino7
(newbie) Mon 24-Jan-11 19:36:38
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply, any suggestions are appreciated. The exchange isn't due to go live for a little while yet as the original date was set back for a few months but I just wanted to know where my cabinet was so I could at least get some idea of what sort of speed I might get. As I said, I've never been able to spot a cabinet anywhere near to where I live!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zadeks
(member) Mon 24-Jan-11 20:19:19
Print Post

Which exchange are you on?
Standard User rhino7
(newbie) Mon 24-Jan-11 20:21:45
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

Hi Zadeks,

I'm on the Ashton-on-Ribble exchange (LCAOR).
Standard User kasg
(committed) Tue 25-Jan-11 09:55:11
Print Post

Well I'm in a village served by telegraph poles and there are no cabinets anywhere to be seen, yet we are scheduled for FTTC in March (the exchange in the neighbouring town has been enabled). My estimated speed is 31.2Mb down / 7Mb up. How does this work in my situation? Are the "cabinets" effectively underground, accessed through the covers in front of most of the poles?

Kevin

Plusnet Extra
Using OpenDNS
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 25-Jan-11 09:57:39
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Is the village the only area served by the exchange? If within 100-200m of exchange then probably no cabinet, so full ADSL and full ADSL2+ speeds when it arrives.

Because an exchange is getting FTTC does not mean all lines will get it.

Overhead feed for last 0.25km, cabinet another 0.25km down the road.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kasg
(committed) Tue 25-Jan-11 10:04:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

No, I'm a couple of miles from the exchange, which serves a large town, so getting lowish speeds on ADSL Max (3.5Mb at best). I was basing the FTTC availability on my phone number, so it should surely be pretty accurate?

Kevin

Plusnet Extra
Using OpenDNS
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 25-Jan-11 10:30:58
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

On whose checker?

If a large town then the cabinet will be in the town, overhead can drop down to a cabinet easliy enough, or are you saying it is overhead all the way through the town?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kasg
(committed) Tue 25-Jan-11 10:40:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
On whose checker?

Sorry, the only one I know about:

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If a large town then the cabinet will be in the town, overhead can drop down to a cabinet easliy enough, or are you saying it is overhead all the way through the town?

No, I'm just talking about the village, which is considerably older than most of the town. There will have to be a cabinet or cabinets in the village otherwise we stand no chance of getting 31.2Mb!

OK, I found this a few hundred yards down the road - is that a BT street cabinet?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4480624/IMAG0188.jpg

Kevin

Plusnet Extra
Using OpenDNS
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to