General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jdowning640
(newbie) Thu 27-Jan-11 23:41:42
Print Post

Line Bonding

[link to this post]

Hi there,

I currently get around 1Mbps download and 0.3Mbps upload and I live around 1.5 miles from my cabinet and 1.7 miles from the exchange.

I contacted BT Wholesale and they have offered me a line bonding service for rural customers (up to 2Mbps).

Will I be capped at 2 Mbps or will I get higher?

Will I need a new router?

The man on the phone said that the procedure needed to be passed over to London to get an approval for a grant.

Thanks for your help,
Jack
Standard User Ribble
(newbie) Thu 27-Jan-11 23:52:26
Print Post

Re: Line Bonding

[re: jdowning640] [link to this post]

Broadband Enabling Technology is not a fibre based technology, so wrong section.
It uses either 1 pair for a 1Mbits connection , or 2 Pairs for a 2Mbits connection.
I believe the connection speeds are fixed, though throughput would be dependant on the usual factors.
I think there is additional hardware supplied with the service by Openreach

Edited by Ribble (Fri 28-Jan-11 00:05:06)

Standard User olisun
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 28-Jan-11 10:08:50
Print Post

If you just 1.7miles from the exchange (rought estimate) you should be able to get more than 1mb...

What are your current stats? and are you connected to the master socket or to an extension?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User krazykizza
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 28-Jan-11 10:18:24
Print Post

[re: olisun] [link to this post]

Not all the time, he could be going to the cab in the oposite direction to the exchange, then the cab could then route back past his house to the exchange.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AOL > Virgin Media > Tiscali > Falconnet > UKFSN > Norfolk Internet
2mbps > Shapped 512k > 1mbps! > 6.5mbps > 4.5mbps > 6.5mbps
ADSL Joy. 31db att, 9db SNR, EntaFail.
(newbie) Fri 28-Jan-11 17:20:27
Print Post

Apologies on the forum this is in - I'm so used to viewing the fibre forum.

Is this line bonding thing usually expensive?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 28-Jan-11 17:21:58
Print Post

Is this line bonding thing usually expensive?

depends exactly what it is. There are two line rentals, two ADSL rentals, extra kit in some instances - but I don't know what you're actually being offerred.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Jan-11 18:27:29
Print Post

As mentioned, the description sounds like a BET service. As ever, it's 'up to' with 1 pair seeing around 750Kbps and with two pairs 1500. You don't need a different router. However, unless your exchange has had it's BET rack already installed, you'll have a long wait.

In my opinion it's only worth the grief if you can't get any sort of sync at all.

The only exchange round this way which has the kit in it is Twyford in Berkshire.

(newbie) Fri 28-Jan-11 19:11:23
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Was on the phone to a guy from BT Wholesale again today.

He's saying that my exchange hasn't yet been enabled yet and hasn't had the equipment installed for line bonding yet although he has prioritized the request for my exchange (serving around 1k people) and says that it should be enabled within 2-3 weeks.

Apparently what he's doing is sending an engineer out to bring a new line in and if I don't get a minimum of 2Mbps connection then they'll bring in another one. It's not some sort of special router than combines them both, I get this all through a government grant (free call out costs, free install, free router / adsl modem). All I have to pay is my normal monthly fee.

Just one question, my friend is a BT engineer and he done some work *not officially* for me to move the number of this broadband line out to another location in a garage outside. Will BT still carry out the installation?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 28-Jan-11 19:12:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by jdowning640:
Was on the phone to a guy from BT Wholesale again today.

He's saying that my exchange hasn't yet been enabled yet and hasn't had the equipment installed for line bonding yet although he has prioritized the request for my exchange (serving around 1k people) and says that it should be enabled within 2-3 weeks.

Apparently what he's doing is sending an engineer out to bring a new line in and if I don't get a minimum of 2Mbps connection then they'll bring in another one. It's not some sort of special router than combines them both, I get this all through a government grant (free call out costs, free install, free router / adsl modem). All I have to pay is my normal monthly fee.

Just one question, my friend is a BT engineer and he done some work *not officially* for me to move the number of this broadband line out to another location in a garage outside. Will BT still carry out the installation?
What are your current line stats?

_______________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
(learned) Fri 28-Jan-11 19:22:26
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

From Linksys Modem:

DSL Status: UP
DSL Modulation Mode: GDMT
DSL Path Mode: INTERLEAVED
Downstream Rate: 1856 Kbps
Upstream Rate: 448 Kbps
Downstream Margin: 10 db