General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TELREA42A
(newbie) Sat 29-Jan-11 00:20:06
Print Post

Slightly confused...

[link to this post]

Hi all bit confused so im hoping someone can enlighten me.Been on very slow speeds were i live,and was happy to learn that BT Infinity was being activated on 31st January 2011.Like many i had been checking the availabilty checker on a regular basis and on the 14th of this month i was surprised to find i could place an order with a estimated download speed of 26.5 meg.
Gave my MAC Code to BT ordered online and have an install date of 8th February.Received my confirmation letter etc.
So tonight my mother in law decides to place an order as she only lives a few doors from me(unlucky)and the checker informed her that the Infinity product will be available at the end of March,she is definately connected to the same cabinet as me.Now im confused,why would BT accept my order give me a date etc,and then change the enablement date?Anyone else experience this,and do you think BT will cancel my order?
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 29-Jan-11 00:27:06
Print Post

Re: Slightly confused...

[re: TELREA42A] [link to this post]

Depending whether your m-i-l (or yourself, come to that) wants FTTC or specifically BT Infinity, you might like to look at other suppliers:

Scroll down a bit

edit- fix link.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM

Edited by billford (Sat 29-Jan-11 00:41:02)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TELREA42A
(newbie) Sat 29-Jan-11 10:28:59
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

thanks for the reply,yes i have looked at other fibre providers,but taking cost etc in consideration,i decided to go with BT's own infinity product.Just confused as to why they would accept my order online send me written details,then a little over 10 days later,announce that fibre wont be available to anyone connected to my cabinet until march!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 29-Jan-11 10:31:13
Print Post

perhaps it was a mistake when they were updating things, or maybe they have a problem with lead times due to staff shortage or something.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User TELREA42A
(newbie) Sat 29-Jan-11 12:42:21
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

checking the number(m-in-law) on infinitys website it tells me that its available in March,on the BT WHOLESALE checker its now,so im even more confused lol
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 29-Jan-11 13:32:58
Print Post

The BT Wholesale one will be saying the line "currently supports", not "available".

Assuming you are right about the cabinet, it could be simply BT Broadband sales/marketing rollout policy, or even all the currently available connections on the cabinet have now been taken up. I forget how many in the FTTC cab I saw being wired to the old cabinet, but it might have been 36 or 48 out of the maximum possible of 288.

So March may be when the cabinet gets additional connectivity.

(Edit - see this post).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 29-Jan-11 13:36:10)

Standard User TELREA42A
(newbie) Sat 29-Jan-11 14:03:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks Roberto,im pretty sure i was one of the first to order(if not the only one lol)thing is down here where i live its a fairly rural community,just wondering how they would get that many orders so quick lol.Another thing i noticed is the fibre cab is about half the size of alot of the other cabinets i have seen installed in other local towns..well here's hoping my modem is due to be delivered on Friday 4th with the install on the 8th!

TEL.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 29-Jan-11 15:14:55
Print Post

Good luck with yours then smile.

I think I saw a post a while ago about there being smaller FTTC cabs in places. That would just make my suggestion even more possible, especially if they only part-connect it with even fewer links.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
  Print Thread

Jump to