General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User NorthBucksAndrew
(newbie) Tue 01-Feb-11 13:18:41
Print Post

OR Cancelled FTTC Roll Out?

[link to this post]

Hi,

The BT Checker still seems to think that I will be able to order Infinity by 31/03/2011 and I know our exchange (SMSU - Sheley Church End in Milton Keynes) is becoming enabled but, as anyone whose read my previous post, you'll know that I am in Nash which is the last village along the line from the exchange. Our sister village, 2 miles closer, Whaddon now has it'sa cabinet installed so I know they'll be getting FTTC but the ELGIN system (www.elgin.gov.uk) had shown the road in Nash to be closed for 5 days in late Jan by BT (presumerably for installation of the cabinet here). This date came and passed and now ELGIN has nothing showing for the next 4 months for Nash. Could it be that OR have changed their mind and decided not to upgrade our village? How would I ever know?

It wouldn't be so bad but being so far so far from the exchange means I get nothing better than a 750Kbps IP profile on ADSL so FTTC would be *very* welcome!

Any thoughts people?

Cheers,
Andrew
Standard User Ribble
(newbie) Tue 01-Feb-11 14:43:27
Print Post

Re: OR Cancelled FTTC Roll Out?

[re: NorthBucksAndrew] [link to this post]

It is highly unlikely the road would need to be closed just to install the cabinet, let alone for 5 days. If anything , the closure would have been for cabling works (related to FTTC or otherwise).
I'm afraid at this point you are none the wiser

Edited by Ribble (Tue 01-Feb-11 14:43:59)

Standard User Dilbert
(regular) Tue 01-Feb-11 15:02:12
Print Post

Based on other areas that have slipped I think its far more likely that your date has also slipped or is in the process of doing so and they haven't re-applied for permission to close the road or they don't need to close it any more for what they need to do.

They don't seem very good at keeping the checker information updated. 2 Weeks before it was meant to be available in my area it was put back 3 months (and some areas went back 1 year just 2 weeks before it was meant to be available at that same time). They then brought the availability date forward 2 months with just a couple of days notice .... so I think the moral of this tale is no matter what you see happening in your area, check the availability checker regularly.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 27-Apr-11 20:53:35
Print Post

Any update op about the cab?
What sort of speed do you get of that 'village network' isp?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 28-Apr-11 17:44:48
Print Post

Hi There,

Just to let you know that I live in Whaddon and I was looking at the BT wholesale broadband checker today and infinity is available to my house. Just order it from BT and should be installed on teh 9th May. Looks like only half of whaddon has got it thoough as the second cabinet has not been installed. I also know some one in Nash who has to have BT out to get their ADSL sorted. The engineer said their was FTTC cabling in the existing cabinet in Nash.

Andy
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 28-Apr-11 18:35:31
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Hi There,

Just to let you know that I live in Whaddon and I was looking at the BT wholesale broadband checker today and infinity is available to my house. Just order it from BT and should be installed on teh 9th May. Looks like only half of whaddon has got it thoough as the second cabinet has not been installed. I also know some one in Nash who has to have BT out to get their ADSL sorted. The engineer said their was FTTC cabling in the existing cabinet in Nash.

Andy

so have you ordered?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 04-May-11 12:44:20
Print Post

Hi,

Interesting points. I can see the FTTC cabinet in Whaddon on the corner of Shenley Road and the (I think) the High Street - I didn't know there was another one.

Yep, we had to have BT out to enable our ADSL initially but I am getting a sync of between 1152 and 1248kbps so it's comfortably at the 1Meg broadband level - impressive for Nash where some people can't get it at all. I haven't used the Village Networks option as it's quite expensive (£30/month I think) but I would if I couldn't get ADSL at all. I hear that it's something like 6megs but that may not be correct.

So apparently our cab may already be FTTC enabled? I'm not an expert but I thought we'd need a *new* cab alongside (like in Whaddon) to be FTTC enabled. Even if there was room in our cab, I would expect it would need the ventilation louvres like on the new FTTC cabs? To me it just looks like a normal old standard cabinet...

The BT checker still says 30th September 2011 for Inifinty for Nash.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 04-May-11 12:57:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
So apparently our cab may already be FTTC enabled? I'm not an expert but I thought we'd need a *new* cab alongside (like in Whaddon) to be FTTC enabled. Even if there was room in our cab, I would expect it would need the ventilation louvres like on the new FTTC cabs? To me it just looks like a normal old standard cabinet...

The BT checker still says 30th September 2011 for Inifinty for Nash.
What does the BT Wholesale checker say for your phone number?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 04-May-11 20:52:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi RobertoS, the checker gives the following:

For Telephone Number 01908xxxxxx on Exchange SHENLEY CHURCH END

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 250Kbps and 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps.

Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 30th September 2011. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 32Mbps and upstream line speed of 7.2Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

Thank you for your interest.

Please note that dates and exchanges are indicative and subject to change.
Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

Note: If you already have a Broadband service enabled on this line and you want to switch service providers, you will need to contact both your current provider and your new provider to get your service changed over new and existing service provider to have this service transferred.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 12-May-11 21:42:19
Print Post

I had BT out to Whaddon on the 9th May to istall infinity to my house. Its all up anf running now and have got speeds upto 40 Mbs, normally a bit less though. The BT open reach engineer siad that Nash was deffinatly being done. New cab needs to go in yet though. He thought it would be sooner than the september date given by bt wholesale checker but couldn't be sure.

Andy
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to