General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User maniac886
(member) Thu 03-Feb-11 17:54:43
Print Post

Anyone having issues in the Didsbury(Manchester) area-FTTC ?

[link to this post]

My Broadband Ping

Just wondering if anyone else has had problems with their FTTC connection in the Didsbury area? I think my problems started from last Friday with my download speeds dropped down to 1 Meg Down, my I.P profile has also dropped from 37979Kbps to 23707Kbps and my pings have increased from around 15ms to anywhere between 30ms-40ms.

I don't want to reset my modem as it could register as an error and the I.P profile could drop further. Just waiting to hear back from my ISP but was wondering if anyone else has similar issues?

Thanks
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 03-Feb-11 18:24:49
Print Post

Re: Anyone having issues in the Didsbury(Manchester) area-FT

[re: maniac886] [link to this post]

It sounds as though you've had a period of noise/errors, the DLM has kicked in, increased your target SNRM and put you on interleave.

If the noise has gone away it should recover after some days.

Those periods of high latency- was that you downloading or are they occurring for no obvious reason?

edit- Oh, and who is your ISP?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM

Edited by billford (Thu 03-Feb-11 18:36:48)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User maniac886
(member) Thu 03-Feb-11 18:45:07
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Does the I.P profile automatically increase or does my internet provider need to contact BT? My profile has stuck around the 23707Kbps figure since Saturday and has not really moved from this figure.

The peaks on the graph are from downloads and daily speedtests.

My ISP is Aquiss.

Edited by maniac886 (Thu 03-Feb-11 18:45:57)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 03-Feb-11 18:55:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by maniac886:
Does the I.P profile automatically increase or does my internet provider need to contact BT? My profile has stuck around the 23707Kbps figure since Saturday and has not really moved from this figure.
It should increase automatically, the DLM will initiate a resync if it thinks your line can tolerate a lower target SNRM. But without being able to get at the line stats there's no way of telling if the noise has gone. Give it a few more days then see what Aquiss have to say, they should be able to get at the stats from their end.

FWIW I had something similar shortly before Christmas when people turned on their heating and put Christmas lights up... now the lights have gone and the weather is getting warmer it's gradually recovering crazy
Pity (from my point of view)... I'm seeing spikes like that but it's not me and I'm trying to find out whose fault it is!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User maniac886
(member) Thu 03-Feb-11 19:03:20
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
In reply to a post by maniac886:
It should increase automatically, the DLM will initiate a resync if it thinks your line can tolerate a lower target SNRM. But without being able to get at the line stats there's no way of telling if the noise has gone. Give it a few more days then see what Aquiss have to say, they should be able to get at the stats from their end.

FWIW I had something similar shortly before Christmas when people turned on their heating and put Christmas lights up... now the lights have gone and the weather is getting warmer it's gradually recovering crazy
Pity (from my point of view)... I'm seeing spikes like that but it's not me and I'm trying to find out whose fault it is!

Cheers, to be fair Aquiss have been great so far and I believe they have contacted BT. Just been doing BT speedtests on a daily basis just too keep an eye on my speeds, hopefully fingers crossed issues will be sorted soon!
Standard User maniac886
(member) Fri 11-Feb-11 14:44:25
Print Post

Just to update, I am working from home this afternoon and noticed that the connection is very slow. BT Speed Test is reporting 15Meg Down/8Meg Up, however this does not reflect the actual speed. BBC Iplayer buffering, download speeds reduced dramatically. I have done a few speed tests on other sites including TBB and they are reporting 2Meg Down and 8Meg Up. This is the first time I have been able to test the connection during the day, it may well be that the connection is suffering at the same times during the day which is why DLM is still active on the line. Possible issue at the cabinet?

Aquiss are currently in communications with BT so hopefully it gets sorted soon.
Standard User maniac886
(member) Sat 12-Feb-11 10:41:09
Print Post

Anyone had their profile reset?

Just wondering if anyone had their profile reset by BT? DLM has been active on my line for over 2 weeks now, which has caused my I.P profile to drop and there has been no signs of improvement. I have already ruled out that BT's modem is at fault as I have a new VDSL2 router and the line stats indicate that the noise levels are fine.

The only way I can see the profile being fixed is a reset by BT. I was just wondering if anyone had this done before and did it work or did the problem return?
Standard User maniac886
(member) Wed 16-Feb-11 13:17:57
Print Post

Please can someone analyse my BQM?

As some of you may already know I have been having some issues this month with my FTTC connection as DLM has been active on my line for 3 weeks.

I had an engineer out yesterday to check the line.

Before the engineer arrived he asked his Openreach colleague to reset the line so he could check the line stats with his JDSU.

When the engineer arrived he said he would expect close to full 40 Down/10 Up sync values as I am only 300 metres away from the cabinet. He tested the line and as he imagined he was getting the full sync speeds.

Once he did that test, he checked my cabling coming into the master socket just to see if there was any loose cables, which there was not. He reset the line again and checked the sync and again it was coming up as 40 Down/10 Up . There were a very small number of errors but he said this wasn't the cause of the problem as there was such a small amount.

After that he visited the cabinet and exchange to check the connections and he said he could not see anything untoward. We did a BT speedtest and could see that the I.P profile had increased up to 38717Kbps which was what I used to be on. The reported download speed was 17 Meg down and 8 Meg up.

However later yesterday evening my connection was playing up, the DSL light on the openreach modem kept blinking on and off , this occured for a few hours until I attached and reattached the DSL cable and the light was back on. I ran a BT test and I still had the same profile . Overnight however I noticed that the I.P profile had dropped by 10 Meg. Anyone know what the reasons for this could be? To be honest I am more than happy with my speeds now just interested as to why the drop in speed.

Also is my graph looking ok- P.S the huge peak is because of the speed test.

My Broadband Ping
  Print Thread

Jump to