General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 04-Feb-11 01:30:06
Print Post

fttc cabinet positioning

[link to this post]

hi all just wandering, ive been constantly checking to see if i can get fttc and my cab is in place but not yet active, my estimated speed is 14.3 down, anyway i walked through my estate in the oposite direction to my cab and spotted bt digging a rectangular fttc cab shaped hole in the ground about 150 meters away from my back door, what are the chances of this being a placement for an fttc cab as there is no other smaller cab anywhere near, would be nice if there was one that close,
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 04-Feb-11 04:21:12
Print Post

Re: fttc cabinet positioning

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Is there a square BT-labelled manhole in a pavement close to it? (Or perhaps even two together). Maybe across the road.

If the new digging is on a side-street of a bigger road, look along both sides of that as well for a few yards.

150 meters is very unlikely.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User orly
(experienced) Fri 04-Feb-11 05:14:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
hi all just wandering, ive been constantly checking to see if i can get fttc and my cab is in place but not yet active, my estimated speed is 14.3 down, anyway i walked through my estate in the oposite direction to my cab and spotted bt digging a rectangular fttc cab shaped hole in the ground about 150 meters away from my back door, what are the chances of this being a placement for an fttc cab as there is no other smaller cab anywhere near, would be nice if there was one that close,

Bit confused by your statements. If "your cab" is in place and you're getting a result from the checker saying FTTC is available at 14.3mbit then this other building work is of no consequence to you.

You only get the message saying it's available when it's actually available - not when they're at the digging stage.

---
BT Infinity 8th July 2010
Connected to: P23 Kilmaine Road, Bangor, BT19 6DT (NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up

Previously:
BT Broadband, roughly 4mbit sync
4KM line / 54dB atten / 9dB SNR / Netgear DG834GT

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 04-Feb-11 08:36:25
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

I too think his post opens with a confusing statement, but think he meant "if i can get fttc and whethermy cab is in place but not yet active".

He could also be misreading the BT Wholesale checker which says "Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 28.9Mbps and upstream line speed of 6.4Mbps".

Not at all the same thing as "available".

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 12-Feb-11 12:23:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

no i just simply saw bt digging a large rectangular hole near my house and wandered if they were putting in a new fttc cab closer to my house, in hte hope that i might get better speeds if i could get connected to that cab ( if it is a cab ) as it would be simple for them to install a new line to my house, as line would have to go extremely close to my house,
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 12-Feb-11 12:42:15
Print Post

'Fraid FTTC doesn't work like that.

Your line to the house goes to an ordinary cabinet somewhere, though very occasionally to an underground equivalent.

The fibre from the exchange goes to the FTTC cabinet, and that is linked by copper to the existing cabinet. The VDSL signal from the fibre goes down that copper and onto your existing line, but your phone service continues to go to the exchange along the old copper, not via the FTTC cab.

I have a longer explanation here.

Standard User griff_90
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 12-Feb-11 13:44:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
no i just simply saw bt digging a large rectangular hole near my house and wandered if they were putting in a new fttc cab closer to my house,

Did you actually see BT digging the hole or was it some third party contractors and you're just assuming it's related to BT?

You mention in your previous post there's no other cabinets within 140 metres of this location which seems to suggest this "hole" is for something else other than a VDSL cabinet.

Edited by griff_90 (Sat 12-Feb-11 13:44:39)

Standard User andyboygsi
(member) Sat 12-Feb-11 19:19:16
Print Post

an underground cabinet, really? haha

do they exist

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

BTBroadband
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 12-Feb-11 23:48:28
Print Post

[re: andyboygsi] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by andyboygsi:
an underground cabinet, really? haha

do they exist
Not that I'm aware of, but there do seem to be some sorts of under-pavement supply and others here have indicated this too, so I was just trying to avoid being shot down. (Fail tongue).

So you reckon there must be a normal cabinet somewhere supplying the poster?

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 13-Feb-11 10:34:01
Print Post

I have seen pictures of UG cab / pillar that rests in the box on a hinge and can pull up vertically for jumpering on etc.. however i have never seen one in the wild. From my experience most pillars (scp secondary connection points) around here have been bypassed in favour of a simple joint underground. Infact OR say they provision FTTC to PCP primary cross connection cabs only and will not give service to those fed from an SCP off an enabled cab - which to me seems daft as an awful lot of these places which have had the scp removed still show them on the line records.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to