General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 05-Feb-11 12:01:07
Print Post

Whats Up with THE BT LINE CHECKER

[link to this post]

This Makes me laugh

Since they have started putting Fibre cabs in the line checker was correct and showing i could get 4.5mb before this is was 3.5mb which i new was wrong. Yesterday i though i would check to see if ifinity had been switched on to find out it still says 31st March 2011 to my amusment it was showing normal broadband speed available 1mb (LOL im already getting 4.5mb through Sky) this is also showing on the BT Wholesale Checker. So My questions are

- Is this Just BT scewing information so the end users take Inifinity E.g 1mb sucks but woah i can get 33.2mb on Fibre. (worrying thing is this feeds other Internet Providers)

- Or is BT just really messed up at the min and they are re-routing for fibre
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 05-Feb-11 12:21:44
Print Post

Re: Whats Up with THE BT LINE CHECKER

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Might be wrong here, but I think the line checker is based on IP profiles from BT equipment. If you have LLU then the speed you get is not reflected in the availabiility checker, which is effectively just a BT Wholesale checker.

So your point that LLU suppliers are "marked down" by being effectively downgraded in terms of their potential peformance is right if the above is right, but it has always been that way and has nothing to do with Infinity.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 05-Feb-11 14:47:32
Print Post

well i just checked sky as they have there own equip now thats showing 0.5mb available so god knows whats going on lol just checked my router and its still sync at 4.6 mb so he def reliated to whatevers going on with BT

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User New_Londoner
(member) Sat 05-Feb-11 15:51:23
Print Post

As per the earlier post, its giving a prediction based on the BT Wholesale equipment, so will not necessarily give the same speed as an LLU suplier.

For example, you may have ADSL Max on your line from BT Wholesale and ADSL 2+ from your LLU supplier and be relatively close to the exchange. In that case, the BT Wholesale service might be capable of delivering say 5Mbps and the LLU provider 16Mbps.

It wouldn't make sense for the Wholesale line checker to give any estimate of performance using anything but its own kit as there are too many variables. Either way, it shouldn't matter as long as ISPs give an estimate at the point of purchase to allow an informed decision if speed is a key critieria to the purchaser.

That said, worth asking Sky why their estimate is so far out given they are supplying you, so ought to be able to check the actual speed of the line. I can't see this being a conspiracy though as Sky's estimate is wrong and they are not currently selling FTTC, so hardly in their interest to do so!

---

All opinions expressed by me are my own

BT Infinity
Speedtest result (excluding 2Mbps for BT Vision)
Standard User Dilbert
(regular) Sat 05-Feb-11 17:49:53
Print Post

Mine went the same way when fibre went live on my cabinet.

Before the cabinet went live the checker said I could get 3Mb on my line and I actually get 3.5Mb (on ADSL2+), since FTTC was available it now says I can get 1Mb on the checker, I am still connected at 3.5Mb.

Some glitch in their systems somewhere no doubt.

Doesn't seem to be effecting any actual speeds anyway so no matter ... plus I have my FTTC install this coming Thursday so even less bothered about it smile

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 05-Feb-11 18:08:25
Print Post

[re: New_Londoner] [link to this post]

When no actual data, BT Wholesale will fall back onto the Openreach line databases, which is what Sky can use.

Though Sky as a BT Wholesale customer would also have access to their database systems too.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 05-Feb-11 20:39:21
Print Post

[re: Dilbert] [link to this post]

Yeah seems to be a bad bug lol i will monitor it in next couple of weeks to see if it reverses when the fibre cab goes live might also drop sky an email as well just for fun lol to see what there take is as they are currently connected to me on 4.5mb normal broiadband but when i use there checker is say 512kb lol this must be doing them out of buisness i would be p1ssed lol

Current Broadband 4.5mb (d) 0.70 (u)
Estimated Broadband (0.5mb) 0.28(u) <----- Cheers BT makes life difficult lol

Estimated Fibre 31st March 33.2mb (d) 8.6(u)
  Print Thread

Jump to