General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User maniac886
(member) Sun 06-Feb-11 12:55:32
Print Post

Alternative Wireless routers with inbuilt VDSL modem.

[link to this post]

I have been having issues with my FTTC connection for the last few weeks whereby my I.P profile has dropped and I have been seeing some high pings. Unfortunately no one as yet apart from BT can access the BT Modem to gain the stats. Now apart from getting my hands on a JDSU tester my only other option is to purchase a VDSL router.

I have been scouring the internet to see which devices are available on the market and as far as I can see the only device that has been tested as working is the Thomson TG789vn, albeit being a bit buggy.

DLink DSL 6740B- No UK stock as far as I can see- Does not work according to this post.

Zyxel P-870HW-51A- £111.73 delivered here at Porthale Services. Cannot find any feedback stating this router works.

ZyXEL P-870HN-51b- £137.28 delivered here at Porthale Services. Cannot find any feedback stating this router works.

Thomson TG789vn - £147.92 delivered here at DSL Source - As far as I have read the router works but the stats are buggy.

DrayTek Vigor 2750n - £201.97 delivered here by an Amazon UK market seller. Cannot find any feedback stating this router works.

FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7390 - AVM7390- £214.99 delivered here at CCL. Does not work according to this post.

The prices I have stated above may not be the cheapest but I have supplied links where the devices are in stock at the time of me writing this post.

Has anyone else tested any of the devices above? Otherwise I may just buy the Thomson TG789vn.

Edited by maniac886 (Sun 06-Feb-11 13:22:34)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 06-Feb-11 13:04:01
Print Post

Re: Alternative VDSL Wireless Routers.

[re: maniac886] [link to this post]

I think this will work:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FB763B/A?mco=MTcxN...

Ask in the Apple forum for confirmation.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 06-Feb-11 13:08:06
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

that apple thing doesn't have a VDSL modem in it !

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Sun 06-Feb-11 13:09:03
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
I think this will work
That's a router only and requires Ethernet connection to a WAN.

It doesn't have an internal modem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 06-Feb-11 13:14:27
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Sorry, I thought the OP was after a router to plug in to the VDSL modem.
Standard User maniac886
(member) Sun 06-Feb-11 13:23:42
Print Post

Re: Alternative Wireless routers with inbuilt VDSL modem.

I have updated the thread title just to make it more clear.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sun 06-Feb-11 13:33:14
Print Post

Any particular reason for not asking about a VDSL2 modem only?

(assuming somebody sells such a thing!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User maniac886
(member) Sun 06-Feb-11 13:54:00
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
Any particular reason for not asking about a VDSL2 modem only?

(assuming somebody sells such a thing!)

There are two VDSL2 modems that are available, the SMC smc7800a/vcp and the ZyXEL P-871M but I am not sure if I can obtain stats from these devices? A 2 in 1 device would be my preference as it would save some room on my desk, plus I guess it would use less power.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sun 06-Feb-11 14:05:07
Print Post

Fair enough... can't help with stats availability, but the ZyXEL is about the same price as a modem/router and neither have gigabit Ethernet*, so that's those two out!

* Quite a few people have reported that 10/100Base-T Ethernet routers don't have the grunt to handle an FTTC connection running flat out, presumably down to using a slower processor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 07-Feb-11 01:03:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by maniac886:
Has anyone else tested any of the devices above? Otherwise I may just buy the Thomson TG789vn.

Hmm, I am also interested in this.

Found it for £129 with delivery here:
http://www.technicolor.dslshop.co.uk/789_datasheet.a...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to