General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ste__
(experienced) Mon 07-Feb-11 13:40:04
Print Post

New line install

[link to this post]

Hi Chaps,

My employer is in the market for a backup broadband line should the leased line go down. I have been looking at one of the BT Infinity products (as an example). We do have "infinity" in the area in question, but when I put the company postcode it says Infinity is not available in my area. If I put the phone number in of another BT line on site it says that line can get it (but we can't use this line) Would I need to go down the route of getting a normal analog line installed, waiting a few weeks for the number to come through and hope it's available?

Also What determines if you get a FTTP/FTTC connection? I presume most will be FTTC connections. In the case of FTTC can you just use normal ADSL modems or do you still need VDSL kit?

Cheers

--
schadenfreude n. the malicious enjoyment of another's misfortunes

A happy PlusNetter crazy
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 07-Feb-11 13:47:25
Print Post

Re: New line install

[re: ste__] [link to this post]

FTTC comes with an Openreach installed modem that you connect a router to (ethernet).

Ask an ISP about "simultaneous provision" of FTTC and a phone line. Otherwise it'll be order the line then the FTTC when the number is on the database.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 07-Feb-11 13:53:35
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
Ask an ISP about "simultaneous provision" of FTTC and a phone line.
Would that guarantee that the phone line would go to a fibre-enabled cabinet in the area, rather than just the nearest one? Or would the ISP have to investigate which cabinet would be used and possibly decline the order?

Could be useful, if the first.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ggremlin
(member) Mon 07-Feb-11 14:14:19
Print Post

[re: ste__] [link to this post]

is the company's line actually with bt, or billed though another supplier?
edit:
you dont say what the checker says for the companies's line either

Edited by ggremlin (Mon 07-Feb-11 14:17:24)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Feb-11 14:26:20
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Cannot answer with 100% because there are variables such as your new line while most likely served from same cabinet as the other line in premises there is a chance it might not be e..g no spare lines in that cabinet, but another one is suitable and passes your premises

Until they look at the paperwork and actual network nothing can be sure

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 07-Feb-11 14:56:34
Print Post

The ISP would order it and Openreach would reject the FTTC if it was going to a non-FTTC cab I would think. As a sim provide the whole thing should abort, which would be useful if the line was just for VDSL.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 07-Feb-11 15:45:39
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Thanks Phil and Andrew.

I thought the idea of "forcing" a connection to the right cabinet was too good to be true frown

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Feb-11 21:14:03
Print Post

I know of only a tiny handful of DP's (distribution points) which are fed from more then 1 cabinet. 99.9% of the time there is no option.

Print Thread

Jump to