General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Michael_Chare
(member) Wed 09-Feb-11 21:35:56
Print Post

BT cabinet data and fibre to roadside juctions.

[link to this post]

The introduction of ADSL broadband has made the location and properties of my local telephone exchange something that matters to me and much of the relevant information is available on the Sam Knows web site.

The introduction of FTTC means that the location and properties of the cabinet that supplies my phone connection now starts to be a factor which matters to me. Will this data also become available on some web site?

Sadly it would appear that the cabinet which supports my phone line is very much nearer the exchange than my house, to the extent that even if it were FTTC enabled I still would not get broadband at the national average speed.

Is there any hope that BT will extend the FTTC concept to their roundside juction boxes?

Michael Chare
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 09-Feb-11 21:38:07
Print Post

Re: BT cabinet data and fibre to roadside juctions.

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

the location and properties of the cabinet that supplies my phone connection now starts to be a factor which matters to me. Will this data also become available on some web site?
It was. BT Openreach said it had to be removed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Feb-11 22:35:06
Print Post

Is there any hope that BT will extend the FTTC concept to their roundside juction boxes?

Isn't that what FTTC is all about already, are you talking about something that is not a green street cabinet

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Feb-11 22:55:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Possibly talking about the old hexagon shaped concrete pillars they used to have as a joint pillar instead of a pit.

Dave
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 09-Feb-11 23:32:49
Print Post

In your situation, you would appear to need either a cabinet to be installed within a certain distance of your home (not sure anyone knows what the maximum distance is for this to be any use) or fibre to your house.

The latter has been mooted but I don't actually imagine is ever going to get off the ground commercially in any serious way without public funding.

The former has not been discussed as far as I know (filling in with thousands more cabinets since they're not going the whole mile with FTTP everywhere so the broadband has to be taken to the street cabinet at least to get over the inadequacies of telephone lines)

It's important to realise this isn't a rollout of "superfast broadband", it's a rollout of FTTC in some places which in some cases might support superfast broadband speeds.
(member) Wed 09-Feb-11 23:46:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Isn't that what FTTC is all about already, are you talking about something that is not a green street cabinet
I was thinking of junctions that are not in cabinets. e.g. under a couple of manhole covers.

Michael Chare
(member) Wed 09-Feb-11 23:50:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It was. BT Openreach said it had to be removed.

That is a pity, because it is the sort of information that you would need to build a case for government funing either using BT or a 3rd party supplier.

Granted some 3rd party suppliers appear to have this information.

Michael Chare
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 10-Feb-11 09:40:57
Print Post

FTTC is rarely situated at a junction point in the roll-out layouts I've seen anywhere

Underground cabinet options are possible, but to date Openreach appears to be doing the easy to do stuff, rather than usual variants.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 10-Feb-11 09:42:53
Print Post

If you enter in the appropriate contractual relationship with Openreach you can have access to the information.
Try asking Virgin Media or any other teleco for all its cabinet/network information.

Standard User Ribble
(newbie) Thu 10-Feb-11 12:01:43
Print Post

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2010/08/02/bt-caves...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to