General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 14-Feb-11 13:46:05
Print Post

Trouble with idnet FTTC

[link to this post]

Hi my name is keith

From july last year i have been a customer of IDNET on the FTTC,i have been on the top package.On till about a week ago the broadband was very good,low ping (20ms)very good speed about 37mbps download and about 8mbps upload,this made gaming very good which i do alot of.Now the problem which started about a week ago is the broadband keeps droping out and the ping gos anywhere from 28ms to about 120-130ms,the bt speed tester says my ip profile is 32mbps(it was 38.5mbps)and the upload has not changed.I keep on getting kicked out of games i am playing.Doing something as simple as watching the BBC IPLAYER is awful now because it is always buffering,now i have spoke to IDNET 4 or 5 times from last week and its the same old story,they say if the BT SPEEDTESTER says im getting a ip profile of 32mbps everything must be ok(so they say lol).Anybody with a bit of sense knows that you need more than pure speed for gaming.So each time i phoned them they told me the same thing just to get me off the phone,at one point they put me on to someone called simon and he told me it was my wireless phone beside my modem so i moved it,and guess what its still the same...........Can anyone help me cause IDNET dont want too.......

I am a member of this Forum i have just forgot my password

THANKS SABOO1690
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 14-Feb-11 13:49:41
Print Post

Re: Trouble with idnet FTTC

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

why not set up the broadband quality monitor to see what packet loss and ping looks like.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User maniac886
(member) Mon 14-Feb-11 14:10:31
Print Post

I am having a similar issue at the moment, I.P profile has dropped and pings have doubled, sometimes tripled at some points during the day. Sometimes The BT speedtests state I get 20Meg down but then I can't play youtube videos as they buffer. Luckily I have an BT Openreach engineer coming tomorrow to have a look. I will report back after he/she has left.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 14-Feb-11 15:28:08
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
why not set up the broadband quality monitor to see what packet loss and ping looks like.

Thx
i have setup the broadband quality monitor.I will see how it gets on and post on here later

Thanks
saboo1690
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 14-Feb-11 16:33:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Thx
i have setup the broadband quality monitor.I will see how it gets on and post on here later
When I first set it up, the timescale on the x-axis was unreliable for the first 24 hours, ie until it had 24 hours data to work on. So don't get too puzzled smile by that if it happens, just look at the pattern on the graph.

Tip - clicking on the small graph causes it to open a larger window and update at that time.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User saboo1690
(newbie) Tue 15-Feb-11 08:16:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

So the first post here was from myself(i got my password sorted lol)

So here is the Graph from the Broadband Quality Monitor it has been running from about 2pm yesterday(14th).If someone could take a look and tell me what they think please

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/a5cc3c2dae6...

Thanks

Edited by saboo1690 (Tue 15-Feb-11 08:20:22)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 15-Feb-11 08:38:36
Print Post

[re: saboo1690] [link to this post]

Were you doing any downloading or gaming during the night?

Is the wireless connection on your router well-secured?

What does your IDNet usage show up as?

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User saboo1690
(newbie) Tue 15-Feb-11 09:01:40
Print Post

Hi robertoS

Yes my router is well-secured and my pc is wired not wireless.I stoped any internet use from about 8:30pm(14th)to about 8:00am this morning(15th).As you can see from the graph there is something going on between these times.This might be the problem.I cant see my IDNet usage for this till tomorrow because it runs on a 24hr cycle from 12:00am

Thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 15-Feb-11 09:08:12
Print Post

[re: saboo1690] [link to this post]

How your PC is connected to the router is irrelevant. In fact if you don't use wireless it is possible you have never looked at the wireless. (Ah - checking for typos before posting I see you say it is well secured. I'd missed that. I'll leave the rest of my reply though as others may read it and it can't be said too often!).

Check it smile.

No security is obviously bad. WEP, which many default to, is cracked within 30 seconds by loads of easily available free software.

WAP2 with a complex key is best.

About to join IDNet so knew there was a usage monitor, not that it was a daily update.

Standard User saboo1690
(newbie) Tue 15-Feb-11 09:33:58
Print Post

Im sorry i should have said from the start of this,i turned my wireless off last night when i started the Broadband Quality Monitor and its still off now.But when it was on it was on a WAP2 setting.So last night nothing was on the router,the only thing that was active was the Broadband Quality Monitor..........

Thanks
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to