General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Michael_Chare
(member) Tue 15-Feb-11 17:45:56
Print Post

Do FTTC cabinets support ADSL?

[link to this post]

Does the kit that BT installs in FTTC cabinets support ADSL/ADSL2+ as well as VDSL?

I ask because ADSL has a better performance that VDSL on long lines and the cable distance to my local cabinet is about 4.5km.

Michael Chare
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 15-Feb-11 17:51:09
Print Post

Re: Do FTTC cabinets support ADSL?

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Remember they are using VDSL2 which has different characteristics and performs pretty much like ADSL on that long a line.

At this time I doubt anyone would take an order from you so the discussion is somewhat irrelevant.

If cabinet is 4.5km - then how much further is the actual exchange?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(member) Tue 15-Feb-11 19:07:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The total line length is 6.1km. As yet there are no plans to provide FTTC at my local exchange. I am just wondering what difference it would make to me if BT did decide to upgrade the exchange and enabled the cabinet that supplies my house. I would not get the 15+mb/sec that most FTTC users get but my and my neighbours connections could be improved.

Of course what I really need is Fibre to the Pole (or whatever it should be called.) Do you know if BT are testing any suitable equipment? - of course they might want to keep such information confidential.

I found this graph which compares the various forms of DSL. According to the graph VDSL and VDSL2 have similar distance/speed characteristics once you get to 1500m

http://www.leyingitout.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010...

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 15-Feb-11 22:37:44
Print Post

ADSL has a better performance that VDSL on long lines

debatable.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 15-Feb-11 23:41:09
Print Post

It is FTTH or FTTC

Pretty much that is the case, similar but not worse, so you would improve by shortening the line by 2km

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to