General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 18-Feb-11 13:47:08
Print Post

That was painless

[link to this post]

Engineer arrived soon after 9am and was gone by 10:10, all drinks and refreshments refused!

He came here to check the site out before doing the connection at the cab so I asked him to check how many before me. Four.

He wasn't from the immediate area but has done enough installations over the last few months to have stopped counting long ago. This only the second non-Infinity one he has done!

JDSU showed 39992kb[s, attenuation 17.7dB, length 0.6km, SNRM 7.5dB.

BT speed tests wired are giving 33Mbps and 36Mbps on 38717 IP Profile. Wireless I have yet to get sorted out properly for speed tests but obviously snappier on things like the BBC website.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Feb-11 13:50:07
Print Post

Re: That was painless

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

*cough* need to update your sig! tongue

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 18-Feb-11 13:55:28
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Damn - so I did smile.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Yerman164
(newbie) Fri 18-Feb-11 14:04:32
Print Post

Nice speeds for 600m line length, could you tell me what speed the BT checker predicted for you please.

I think I'm a similar distance from my cab, 500-600m and it only predicts 29meg. Hopefully I'll get a similar IP profile to you.

Is the 39992 figure the max the line can ever support, or just because it's capped at 40meg?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 18-Feb-11 14:30:30
Print Post

[re: Yerman164] [link to this post]

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 28.9Mbps and upstream line speed of 6.4Mbps.
Also getting the full 10000 upstream.

His m/c showed a maximum of 43nnn for the downstream.

I had paced out the distance and got around 500m, including the height of the pole, but excluding the distance between the two cabinets as the FTTC one wasn't there at the time. That distance is at least 20-30 metres cable run.

(Edit - typo).

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 18-Feb-11 16:03:03)

Standard User undecidedadrian
(learned) Fri 18-Feb-11 14:56:26
Print Post

nice to hear it went well.

One of the cabs in my area is up and running and everytime I go by our exchange there are several vans feeding fibre into a manhole.

So not long now hopefully even though this area has been moved from March to July on the checker.
Standard User Global_Inferno
(newbie) Fri 18-Feb-11 17:11:50
Print Post

God I wish mine had gone this smoothly, I'm taking a look at IDNet now. Have you had any experience with their Cust. Serv. dept at all? If so what were they like?
Standard User orly
(experienced) Fri 18-Feb-11 17:35:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
This only the second non-Infinity one he has done!

Obviously. It's the best deal by a very wide margin.

---
BT Infinity 8th July 2010
Connected to: P23 Kilmaine Road, Bangor, BT19 6DT (NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up

Previously:
BT Broadband, roughly 4mbit sync
4KM line / 54dB atten / 9dB SNR / Netgear DG834GT
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Feb-11 17:52:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
This only the second non-Infinity one he has done!

Yeah, and ofcom say BT is not a monopoly. Most (supposedly technical !) people in my office still believe there are only two broadband suppliers, BT and VM. They don't believe there is a difference between providers using BT's WBC, 21CN or 20CN products. Very sad. Ofcom need to advertise the competition more.

Good to know you're up and running. My cabinet isn't due to arrive until July now, although this week Openreach replaced the old PCP box with a brand new one - but its not a DSLAM box. Hopefully they've got the ground ready for the new one, maybe ducting went in to go between the two, but why replace the PCP casing?

Old PCP in this google maps link, the newer cabinet goes closer to the council bin.
http://www.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&ge...

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 18-Feb-11 18:37:33
Print Post

[re: Global_Inferno] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Global_Inferno:
God I wish mine had gone this smoothly, I'm taking a look at IDNet now. Have you had any experience with their Cust. Serv. dept at all? If so what were they like?
Very pleased bar one thing.

Having acknowledged receipt of the order they sort of go into silence u til something happens. In particular they don't tell you that the migration order has been submitted to BT. I got used to O2 bombarding me with texts at every stage.

But emails replying to queries have been well handled. Setup details email was adequate-to-good, gave an IP masking that I couldn't set on my router, when I tried to pre-configure, but it turned out not to matter as the router auto-configures in a minute or so once the modem was up and running.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to