General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User maniac886
(member) Fri 18-Feb-11 14:00:36
Print Post

My BQM - Your thoughts please.

[link to this post]

Hi All,

Please can someone analyse my BQM, I am intrigued to find out what has caused the huge amount of packet loss last night. Has anyone else had a similar problem before?

Thanks

My Broadband Ping
Standard User griff_90
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Feb-11 14:51:57
Print Post

Re: My BQM - Your thoughts please.

[re: maniac886] [link to this post]

That amount of total packet loss is the connection dropping repeatedly. You can also see quite distinctly where your IP Profile changes and the level of interleaving increases.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(member) Fri 18-Feb-11 18:11:32
Print Post

It amuses me to see that my 63db loss ADSL connection has a lower minimum latency (at 20 msec) and I don't get the continual low level of packet loss that you appear to suffer from.

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Feb-11 18:29:31
Print Post

Could be interference from a property nearby,R.E.I.N. could also be cross talk at the dslam exchange or cab,

Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 18-Feb-11 18:37:51
Print Post

Something has gone horribly wrong somewhere... apart from the problem last night that caused the repeated loss of connection, resulting in a rise in latency (probably a hike in target SNRM and interleave being switched on) there's an odd-looking periodic blip all the way from midnight to about 8am, with another latency rise at about 4:30pm, when your packet loss largely clears up.

I think you need to do some investigating... and maybe a call to CS to see if they can tell anything from their end.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User maniac886
(member) Fri 18-Feb-11 18:59:31
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
Something has gone horribly wrong somewhere... apart from the problem last night that caused the repeated loss of connection, resulting in a rise in latency (probably a hike in target SNRM and interleave being switched on) there's an odd-looking periodic blip all the way from midnight to about 8am, with another latency rise at about 4:30pm, when your packet loss largely clears up.

I think you need to do some investigating... and maybe a call to CS to see if they can tell anything from their end.

Yes something is definitely not right, already had my profile reset twice, two period of disconnections and my ping has shot up from 20ms to 35-40ms now. Profile has dropped from 38970 to 27365. BT Openreach are investigating at the moment.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Feb-11 21:20:03
Print Post

hmm yet another FTTC graph with packet loss.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 18-Feb-11 21:30:12
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
You seem obsessed with packet loss... Don't forget that the only traffic the BQM shows is ping packets between tbb and your router- ie low priority stuff. No router is going to care if it throws away a ping.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM

Edited by billford (Fri 18-Feb-11 22:02:42)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Feb-11 10:13:48
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
You seem obsessed with packet loss... Don't forget that the only traffic the BQM shows is ping packets between tbb and your router- ie low priority stuff. No router is going to care if it throws away a ping.

I am obsessed as packet loss is a killer, my dodgy adsl line has specks of red on a normal day, these graphs look a mess. If I was a customer with that on my graph I would be complaining every day until its fixed. I would be very concerned with ping packetloss, as I dont expect my router to be at 100% utilisation and believe me that kind of packet loss is not normal. Although granted it may be a transit issue between tbb and idnet causing it rather than everyone having a lossy fttc line.

Incidently icmp is usually lower priority but not UDP.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 19-Feb-11 11:30:09
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Incidently icmp is usually lower priority but not UDP.
The Firebrick device sends out an ICMP echo request (a 'ping') packet ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to