General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Global_Inferno
(newbie) Fri 18-Feb-11 16:54:09
Print Post

Shocked, appalled and horrified... ADSL24

[link to this post]

When considering the various FTTC providers I found myself leaning towards the ADSL24 30 Pro package as a good mix between speed (10Mbps up), limits (30GB / Unlimited @ night) and price. My exchange went live a little while ago, so I decided to go for it.

I then did the usual boring bits; rang my current provider (Be*) and requested my MAC code, put that into the ADSL24 ordering system with a few card / address details and voila! I then got to choose a date for the BT engineer to visit, I chose February the 18th 1pm - 6pm. Great, sorted (or so I thought), so I rang up Be* and told them the cancellation date (18th). All set.

Then I received the "normal" e-mails from ADSL24 upon joining them (on the 9th of Feb):

"Dear Sxxxx Xxxxxxx,

We are pleased to advise you that your order has now been submitted. We will usually have a further update within 24-48 hours containing information such as your activation date, username and other details..."

Great, looks like it's gone through ok. Then I receive this on the 10th of Feb:

"Dear Sxxxx Xxxxxx,

We are pleased to advise you that your order is now being processed.
The estimated activation date of this order is 18th Feb 2011."

Fantastic, so far I've got the date I want, I'm £80~ lighter (install + first month) and no issues! Then, on the 14th of Feb I got this:

"Dear Sxx Mxxxxxxx,

We are pleased to advise you that your order now has a committed activation date.
The confirmed activation date of this order is 18th Feb 2011."

Again, great! So I promptly went and booked the afternoon off work.

Now, on the 18th, I get home at 12:30pm and await the BT engineer's arrival, but at 3:40pm I've not heard a whisper, so I call ADSL24. I asked if the engineer's visit was still definitely on for today, and was told that yes, it was. They also said that they would get in touch with the provisioning service to see if they could get an estimated time of arrival for me; great!

Then the phone rang and I was told it was bad news, uh oh. The customer service rep. (CSR from now on!) told me that there was a mix-up in their system and that the date for the visit was actually the 24th of February (a Thursday). I said that I wasn't particularly happy about this, as I've had to take a half-day off work as holiday and that the date they have given instead is a day I can't do (I can only take off Friday afternoons).

The CSR then said that they would adjust my first bill so that instead of me paying from the 18th, I would be paying from the 24th when the line actually goes live. I was like, "of course you are, why would I be paying for it until it is activated!?". I said that I wasn't happy with the level of service that I had received so far and as a result was thinking of just cancelling the whole thing and going with a different provider. To which I was told "Oh well it'll take even longer to get online then, and BT have 'committed' to installing it now, so if you cancel you will be subject to a charge of roughly £100, plus the non-refundable install fee of £49.99" I was like "WHHHHATTTTT!?".

At which point I asked to speak to a manager, to which I was told there were none there (again, how!?) and that if I wanted to talk to someone about compensation, I should e-mail customer services. Pardon!? E-Mail? What, the thing you need a working internet connection to use!? Fuming at this point I said forget it, I'll call again tomorrow or on Monday to speak to a manager to cancel this thing.

So, so far ADSL24 have given me misinformation on numerous occasions and when I asked if I could cancel the whole thing, they threatened me with a £150 cancellation charge. All I can say is avoid ADSL24 at all costs. I'm thinking of going to the small claims court on Monday if they refuse to refund my installation charge and first months subscription.

EDIT: Oh and I should probably mention that my neighbour has very kindly allowed me to connect to his Wi-Fi to send this, so a big thanks to no. 21! ;D

Update 5pm 18/02: I've also now just realised that to remove your direct debit details from their system, you have to raise a ticket to get it removed, not just delete the details yourself. So I'm waiting on a CSR to action this, as I do not want ADSL24 having free-reign on my bank account.

Update 8pm 18/02: I've now confirmed that it was definitely ADSL24's fault and not BT's for not letting them know, in one of the control panels on their website I have found out that they were notified on the 14th of Feb. that the BT enablement date was the 24th of Feb; the same day that they confirmed with me that it was the 18th. I even have proof:

When ADSL24 were notified by BT: http://i52.tinypic.com/2qdoay1.png

When the e-mail to me confirming the 18th was sent: http://i51.tinypic.com/205b4nm.png

////****Global Inferno****\\\\

www.globalinferno.co.uk

Edited by Global_Inferno (Fri 18-Feb-11 20:43:03)

Standard User orly
(experienced) Fri 18-Feb-11 17:42:23
Print Post

Re: Shocked, appalled and horrified... ADSL24

[re: Global_Inferno] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Global_Inferno:
When considering the various FTTC providers I found myself leaning towards the ADSL24 30 Pro package as a good mix between speed (10Mbps up), limits (30GB / Unlimited @ night) and price.

Given this information, how did you not go with BT?

---
BT Infinity 8th July 2010
Connected to: P23 Kilmaine Road, Bangor, BT19 6DT (NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up

Previously:
BT Broadband, roughly 4mbit sync
4KM line / 54dB atten / 9dB SNR / Netgear DG834GT
Standard User Michael_Chare
(member) Fri 18-Feb-11 17:55:57
Print Post

To cancel a Direct Debit (and get your money back for a DD you dispute) just ring your bank and tell them what your want.

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User griff_90
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Feb-11 18:08:32
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by orly:
When considering the various FTTC providers I found myself leaning towards the ADSL24 30 Pro package as a good mix between speed (10Mbps up), limits (30GB / Unlimited @ night) and price.

Perhaps he didn't like the idea of an 18 month contract.
(newbie) Fri 18-Feb-11 18:14:03
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
To cancel a Direct Debit (and get your money back for a DD you dispute) just ring your bank and tell them what your want.

I would if I could, but as they haven't even taken the first payment, they haven't started the DD, meaning that my bank have no knowledge of it as yet.
(newbie) Fri 18-Feb-11 20:15:50
Print Post

[re: griff_90] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by griff_90:
In reply to a post by orly:

Perhaps he didn't like the idea of an 18 month contract.

I didn't go with BT for a few reasons; they force you to have a home hub and pay for delivery of it, even though I don't want one. Ever.

And they have serious throttling of P2P, a strict fair usage policy ("Unlimited" = not), etc.

I'm still undecided about who to try next if I do get this cancellation with ADSL24, BT are still in the running, mostly on price alone. But IDNet seem a good choice and I've heard nothing but good things about AAISP.
(newbie) Fri 18-Feb-11 20:43:59
Print Post

I've added some screenshots for proof, for those that are interested.
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Feb-11 21:24:29
Print Post

To which I was told "Oh well it'll take even longer to get online then, and BT have 'committed' to installing it now, so if you cancel you will be subject to a charge of roughly £100, plus the non-refundable install fee of £49.99" I was like "WHHHHATTTTT!?".

You may want to double check that. If you cancel, you may be billed an early or late cancellation fee, which may be the first as you have an engineer appointment, however, the "installation" charge should be refundable as that part is never completed.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
(newbie) Fri 18-Feb-11 22:01:57
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by uno:
You may want to double check that. If you cancel, you may be billed an early or late cancellation fee, which may be the first as you have an engineer appointment, however, the "installation" charge should be refundable as that part is never completed.

Matt

Surely what with it only being about 11 days since I placed the order, (ie. Less than 14 days) the distance selling act applies? As for the engineer appointment, it's only as a result of ADSL24 telling me the wrong date that means it's going to be cancelled. They've cost me a needless day off work, which cost's me more than £100 itself.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 18-Feb-11 23:56:08
Print Post

Distance Selling rules get a bit complicated if action is expected to be initiated immediately, as it is with broadband supply.

Once your supplier enters into contracts with third parties you are pretty much stuck with it.

In my opinion you stand more chance with simple complaints about unreasonable behaviour by ADSL24. They won't want bad publicity of this kind, that might be avoided or even reversed by letting you out.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to