General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Corbula
(regular) Sun 20-Feb-11 13:56:00
Print Post

installation question

[link to this post]

At the moment i have a cable that goes from the ADSL/Modem port on the filter at the master socket to the back of my ADSL router in the 'Internet' port. When FTTC is installed, is this the same cable that will supply the new router?

The problem is the cable is about 15m long and goes behind a wall cabinet to get to the router next to my pc. The wall cabinet can't be moved so i wouldn't be able to get a new cable behind it.

Would it be the same cable for FTTC or does it use a different cable?

Thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 20-Feb-11 16:01:39
Print Post

Re: installation question

[re: Corbula] [link to this post]

frown
Oh dear.

The setup is different on FTTC. BT Openreach do the installation and provide a VDSL2 modem. This has to be close to the master socket, where they fit a new filtered faceplate. If you go for BT Infinity then BT Broadband supply a (cable version) Home Hub. With other ISPs you can buy a suitable router from them, or buy one elsewhere as I did.

Your new router doesn't need to be next to the modem, but connects to it with an ethernet cable. So you can't use your existing 15m one that way frown. What sort of cable is it exactly? (Thinking of post-installation solutions).

What may be a possibility if it is a good quality extension cable is that the engineer might move the master socket to the other end of it, and use another pair in the cable to get a phone signal back to the existing position, with a normal socket. Note I say "may be". Very possibly he won't - let's see what others think.

Have you ordered FTTC, or just thinking about it?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 20-Feb-11 17:02:57
Print Post

if there is slack perhaps the engineer can tie a new cable to the existing and use it as a draw rope to pull a data extension cord - or if you have a long ethernet cable of teh same length you could do the same leaving the new modem by the socket and router where it is. In any case the engineer will be able to sort something out - its the sort of thing they come across everyday.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Corbula
(regular) Sun 20-Feb-11 17:34:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I think the cable is a phone cable (RJ11).

I didn't think it was an extension because it would be the same if the router was right next to the master socket. There's the master socket with an adsl filter plugged in. In the ADSL socket of the filter is the cable i'm talking about which goes straight to the router.

It would be plugged in the same way to the ADSL filter if the router was right next to it, it's just 15m away or so.

Wouldn't an extension be a cable that plugs into the master socket or filter and then have another socket on the end of it to plug another cable into it for the router?

I've tried to explain it but i understand if that's confused you a bit.

I haven't order FTTC yet, i'm just thinking about it as it went live on Wednesday.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 20-Feb-11 17:55:08
Print Post

you could leave your existing cable in place and use it to connect the Openreach modem to the master socket. Not sure if Openreach would accept that (anyone ?)

Other options are to have them put your master socket where you want the router, or run a new data extension kit from the master to the modem location 15m away.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User Squirrel
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 20-Feb-11 18:29:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
What may be a possibility if it is a good quality extension cable is that the engineer might move the master socket to the other end of it, and use another pair in the cable to get a phone signal back to the existing position, with a normal socket. Note I say "may be". Very possibly he won't - let's see what others think.

That is exactly what happened with my BT Infinity installation last week. The extension cable they used was the original ADSL extension kit that BT fitted on my engineer installed ADSL in 2001.

Standard User Corbula
(regular) Sun 20-Feb-11 19:22:48
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Let me see if I understand the setup right.

The Openreach engineer installs a new faceplate.
Using an RJ11 phone cable to connect the VDSL modem to the new faceplate.
This connects to the new router using a CAT5e cable.

Is this right or have i got this wrong?
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Feb-11 19:28:41
Print Post

Yep, that's it.

*If* your current RJ11 cable is of a good twisted variety. Then I would be happy to the modem on the end of it. Clearly it's different strokes for different folks, but there's no harm in asking.

Standard User WWWombat
(learned) Sun 20-Feb-11 19:41:52
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I agree - a 15M RJ11 cable is likely to be the weakest part of the link, and would probably be the most susceptible to interference. But it might be fine, especially if it is, as Zarjaz says, good-quality and twisted.

You could probably take some measurements from your ADSL line stats, and compare them to a setup with a short cable, to see if it is adding problems. It wouldn't be conclusive, as VDSL2 works to higher frequencies.
Standard User Corbula
(regular) Sun 20-Feb-11 19:42:24
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

That's what i'm wondering.

If the VDSL modem is connected to the faceplate with an RJ11 phone cable, why does it need to be next to the faceplate?

The current RJ11 phone cable is just a standard flat cable that goes to the back of the current router.

So could i not put the modem at the end of the current RJ11 cable about 15m away from the master socket?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to