General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User stevepressman
(newbie) Tue 22-Feb-11 01:16:55
Print Post

Hardware required ??

[link to this post]

I see my FTTC goes live on March 2nd 2011 and I was thinking of going with BT Infinity. Am I correct in assuming that they will provide everything I need to get connected or do I need to purchase myself a new Router if so what recommendatory products are available out there up to about £75

Regards

Steve
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 22-Feb-11 01:22:51
Print Post

Re: Hardware required ??

[re: stevepressman] [link to this post]

BT will install they modem and the router - all you need to do is provide the two power sockets needed and te cable from router to PC.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Tue 22-Feb-11 02:54:46
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Out of curiousity, in my current setup I have hard wired an extension (CAT6 as you know) to my computer room, and plugged my router into the extension.

What's involved with fibre? Does the old master plate splitter get replaced, or is pretty much all the changing at the BT side of the socket? Just thinking that I would be miffed to have to run a new cable or fiddle with that extension. Surely the fibre modem/router doesn't have to plug directly into the master?

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011 - All rights and lefts reserved.

report this link

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 22-Feb-11 03:29:25
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Does the old master plate splitter get replaced

yes, well an insert plate is used with the VDSL signal present on an RJ45 socket top centre. There's talk of a wired extension option but the standard one is plug-in only.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 22-Feb-11 08:42:13
Print Post

The modem is normally supposed to be with 1M of the master, as Yarwell mentions there could be a wired extension but not yet and realistically will BT want to do that as that piece of wire could be the source of many problems.

However, the modem and router are separate. So, you could install the modem close to the socket and then use the Cat6 to connect from modem to router which would be where your current one is. It is an Ethernet output from the modem.

M H C

Standard User camieabz
(legend) Tue 22-Feb-11 09:04:44
Print Post

Hang on a sec...I just noticed. Why would there be any hardware changes in the property with FTTC?

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011 - All rights and lefts reserved.

report this link
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 22-Feb-11 09:18:35
Print Post

It changes fro ADSL to VDSL - and whereas there are a few modems/routers that will do both almost everyone out there is ADSL (various flavours) without VDSL capability.

Splitting the two gives BT (and others) control and access to the modem which users don't really need and BT can manage that device, whilst presenting an Ethernet connection to the user who can then choose his own router.

I have not taken a filter apart either - is it straight through on the VDSL side, or does it have a filtering capability.

M H C

Standard User stevepressman
(newbie) Wed 23-Feb-11 01:12:11
Print Post

Ok thanks for that. Now my question is, is their Modem & Router any good ? Do I have to use their equipment ?

Steve
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 23-Feb-11 01:32:26
Print Post

[re: stevepressman] [link to this post]

The modem - yes. And it is reasonably good - most installations I have come across are above the BT line estimates and in line with the VDSL forecasts for line length.

As for the router - you can replace it with one of your own once the installation technician has gone. But you will need to keep the BT or ISP supplied one to hand for any diagnostics and problem reports.

M H C

Print Thread

Jump to