General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mork23
(newbie) Fri 08-Jul-11 11:21:18
Print Post

Re: Basingstoke FTTC - more cabinets this summer!

[re: mork23] [link to this post]

So this is concerning. I've been checking the BT ADSL checker every few days. My phone number tells me nothing new although I know the local street cab (199) has a new FTTC expansion next to it. Today nothing new about my phone number but I decided to check my post code which has additional detail to it. This worries me as it says:

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed between 9.2 to 30 Mbps and upstream line speed between 1.8 to 6.6 Mbps.

So why doesn't this info appear when I put my phone line in? Are there further restrictions? If the above info now appears for my post code could I in theory contact BT and see if I can place an order?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Standard User DougM
(member) Fri 08-Jul-11 11:32:26
Print Post

None of the new Basingstoke cabinets have made it into the line database yet, not even for projected availability.

Postcode matches are being reported almost randomly (my postcode is 100% fed from a cabinet not yet active, but reports FTTC availability where telephone numbers do not).

BT has roadworks scheduled around the new cabinets for the rest of this month; many are yet to receive power. I would expect to see availability in the wholesale checker towards the end of this month.

-==-
DougM
Standard User LightUpMyPipe
(newbie) Fri 08-Jul-11 13:14:11
Print Post

[re: DougM] [link to this post]

Justo told me that I'm connected to cab 82. I see with excitement that it now has a spanking new FTTC cabinet next to it - so I'm also checking the BT Wholesale checker every day. I'm getting a different answer between the postcode checker and the phone number checker too.
Thanks for giving me some idea when I can expect availability to appear.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gr0mit
(learned) Fri 08-Jul-11 13:25:12
Print Post

Because they were blowing the fibre in yesterday when I spoke to the chap at cab 199. He said it should be all connected up yesterday, then a space of 2-4 weeks for testing, and updating databases, checkers, etc. Nearly ready to roll!

Best Regards
Tim Robinson
TxRx Communications Ltd
Fast wireless broadband for Basingstoke www.hiwifi.co.uk
Standard User mork23
(newbie) Fri 08-Jul-11 13:39:33
Print Post

[re: gr0mit] [link to this post]

Thanks for the updates, guys.
Standard User Elwood10
(newbie) Sat 09-Jul-11 00:22:54
Print Post

Not sure if I should be posting here, have fibre optic through BT in Baso, not happy with my speeds, just done a uk broadband speed test (it's after midnight) and download speed is 14.4 and upload is 1.6. I saw on another forum here that someone from Baso is getting 28 download (cant subsequently find the post though) What is going on here?

All comments or suggestions to repost welcome.

Cadders
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 09-Jul-11 01:15:02
Print Post

[re: Elwood10] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Elwood10:
(cant subsequently find the post though)

Cadders
It's here and your reply to it, similar to your post here is further down.

To find your own posts, as you had replied to it, click your nick in a post you have made, (doing a dummy post and doing this from the preview screen probably works, then cancel the previewed post). This opens your profile just like it opens other peoples' if you click their nicks, then you click "Show all user's posts" at the bottom.

Alternatively click the Search button in the menu, and search for your own nick, selecting Search Option "By username".

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 09-Jul-11 01:16:02)

Standard User Hyde_TDS
(newbie) Sun 14-Aug-11 12:58:02
Print Post

[re: Justo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Justo:
In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Thanks Justo.
I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that they start on 82 ASAP.
For future reference how did you find out what postcodes are related to what cabinets?

You're welcome, I looked it up in this;

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9860239/PCP-to-Postcode-Repo...

Just remember you need Excel 2007/10 or similar to see it all.
Is this still the latest list?
Standard User steveeeee
(newbie) Wed 17-Aug-11 20:46:35
Print Post

[re: gr0mit] [link to this post]

Has anybody on PCP67 or PCP66 been able to put an order in yet? I placed an order with PlusNet last week and just got an email to say "Unfortunately, our suppliers have advised us that your cabinet does not support FTTC technology at present and there are no plans to upgrade it in the near future." This was after their salesman told me that his checker showed that I would get about 14.4Mbps. It's not clear yet if my order failed because of the arbitrary 15Mbps threshold, or if there's some other problem. I have a few phone calls to make tomorrow.

The Wholesale checker says ADSL up to 512kbps, ADSL Max up to 2.5Mbps, and ADSL2+ up to 3.5Mbps, and nothing about fibre.

I'm on PCP66 and can see that both 66 and 67 have got shiny new big brothers. We haven't been here that long and I'm not sure when they were installed. The spreadsheet indicates that they're in phase 6a so it's probably a bit early still.
Standard User DougM
(member) Wed 17-Aug-11 21:04:16
Print Post

[re: steveeeee] [link to this post]

Hi Steveeeee,

You won't be able to place an order until the wholesale checker is updated to say that it is available. You can't order in advance, even where a date is announced.

The good news is that p168 at the other end of Reading Road now has a date (tomorrow), so I'd expect p66 and p67 to follow soon.

2-3months is typical from a cabinet being physically installed and being ready to accept orders. Power and the cross connect to the PCP must be completed post FTTC cabinet installation, then there is a few weeks of monitoring before they mark it active.

-==-
DougM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to