General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Corbula
(regular) Sun 27-Feb-11 13:34:11
Print Post

BT Infinity p2p gaming?

[link to this post]

I know that BT Infinity throttles p2p traffic i.e. torrents, but does this also affect p2p gaming? Is all p2p traffic treated the same way regardless of the application?

What else does BT Infinity's traffic management affect aside from p2p?

How are people on BT Infinity finding the speeds and stability? Are you seeing huge speed decreases or anything?

Thanks
Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(newbie) Sun 27-Feb-11 14:08:11
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity p2p gaming?

[re: Corbula] [link to this post]

Yes it will effect. Find a Rift gamer in last weeks open Beta using Bt, they will tell alot about throttles, this came about as Trion the game developers changed the the port range. The game had workerd fine in closed beta for Bt users untill they changed to port 6000-6020 Bt sees this as p2p range!!!!, and were recording massive pings.

This was fixed for the last few days of the Beta, though not sure how, who fixed it, be it another port range change or a patch from Bt.
Standard User Corbula
(regular) Wed 02-Mar-11 16:13:53
Print Post

[re: NilSatisOptimum] [link to this post]

I don't really download using p2p but i download a fair bit using just normal (http) downloads. As well as online gaming a lot.

Would BT Infinity be good for me? Do they only shape p2p traffic, or is it other traffic as well?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(learned) Wed 02-Mar-11 16:41:44
Print Post

As long as you stay within your limit or fair usage range, there will be no downgrading of speed. As for shaping of traffic, this would depend on the game and ports they intend to use!

I'm with Bt never have a problem with my online gaming I game across 3 platforms Pc, Live and Psn and at this point in time have no issues with Bt, however some game servers are different issue . As far as I can make out, BT will throttle P2P week days 6pm -11pm and all weekend from 9am Sat until 11pm Sun.

My views are my experiences and will always stand corrected.
Standard User orly
(experienced) Wed 02-Mar-11 18:20:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by Corbula:
I don't really download using p2p but i download a fair bit using just normal (http) downloads. As well as online gaming a lot.

Would BT Infinity be good for me? Do they only shape p2p traffic, or is it other traffic as well?

Normal downloads run full speed. Only "p2p" type gaming I've done is Modern Warfare 2 and it ran as well as any other ISP does on that game.

I think a lot of people who don't use BT have seen too many scare stories (generally from the users of other ISPs who charge more). These stories seem to be used as some sort of self assurance and justification for paying more when in reality the service BT provide is excellent for the money.

Normal downloads are great, pings are great, newsgroups are great, iplayer is great. You even get UK based support (or it was the last time I called in July)

---
BT Infinity 8th July 2010
Connected to: P23 Kilmaine Road, Bangor, BT19 6DT (NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up

Previously:
BT Broadband, roughly 4mbit sync
4KM line / 54dB atten / 9dB SNR / Netgear DG834GT
  Print Thread

Jump to