General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jdowning640
(regular) Sun 27-Feb-11 16:16:28
Print Post

FTTC Speeds

[link to this post]

On the BT Wholesale checker, it says that people on the same cabinet as me can benefit from FTTC speeds and it said that they can purchase their fibre service from an ISP.
The exchange & cabinet are definitely enabled for fibre to the cabinet.

Unfortunately, I am unable to get it (probably because I'm too far out of the way). My line attenuation is 35 (down) and I get a sync speed of 7328Kbps download (here's my stats:

DSL Status: Up
DSL Modulation Mode: GDMT
DSL Path Mode: INTERLEAVED
Downstream Rate: 7328 Kbps
Upstream Rate: 448 Kbps
Downstream Margin: 7 db
Upstream Margin: 25 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 35
Upstream Line Attenuation: 20
Downstream Transmit Power: 0
Upstream Transmit Power: 0)

Anyway, do any of you know what speed you have to be getting in order for fibre to show up as available on the wholesale checker?

My speeds were around 2Mbps until an engineer came out and connected me to a new circuit or something on the pole and now I'm getting about 5Mbps.

It says on the wholesale checker: 'Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 2Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.'

But the other day when I was moving to BT Business, the man said if I would like to qualify for BT Infinity and he said he'll run a line test and he said yes your line is enabled and you can purchase BT Infinity with speeds of 31Mbps download and 5Mbps upload. He told me he'd ring me back to complete the order and when he did he said he done the final line check and it doesn't show up anymore that I can get it.

So yes, what speeds need to be shown on the line checker (and will it automatically come up that I can get FTTC if the speeds reach a certain amount?)

I appreciate your help, thanks.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Feb-11 16:25:45
Print Post

Re: FTTC Speeds

[re: jdowning640] [link to this post]

It doesn't work like that, it's the length of your line from the street cabinet to your house that affects the checkers result.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 27-Feb-11 16:38:12
Print Post

have you tried both lines on the checker ? current speed doesn't matter as you could be 8km from the exchange but next door to a cabinet.

Try IDnet's checker http://www.idnet.net/fibre/

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(regular) Sun 27-Feb-11 16:48:32
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Hi there, I think there's a problem with the wholesale checker for me and it's not showing my number at the moment but it'll probably come back up in a few minutes.

Doesn't IDNet use BT Wholesales checkers? And if say I was getting 5Mbps on ADSL, BT Wholesale provide a 5Mbps fibre product so why wouldn't it come up there?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 27-Feb-11 16:50:12
Print Post

they all pull from the same database. What about the other line ?

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 27-Feb-11 16:53:16
Print Post

ADSL speeds have nothing to do with it,
for adsl the equipment is in the exchange, so the speed depends on the distance from you to the exchange .
For FTTC, the equipment is in the green, street-side box, so it depends how close you are to this for your speed.
If FTTC is available in your area, you will be closer to a street cab, than the exchange, thus you should be able to get at least 5/15mb download (depending on who you go with)
(regular) Sun 27-Feb-11 16:57:19
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Hi there, same for the other line, it's right beside me 'Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 2Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.'

I'm about 1.8 miles from the cabinet I'm connected to - so is there any likelihood of me getting fibre frown
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 27-Feb-11 16:58:58
Print Post

Have you any history of the availability dates and/or speed of Infinity?

Have you ever seen a speed indicator for WBC FTTC on the BT Wholesale checker?

It could just be that the date is yo-yoing prior to actually going live. It seems quite common for it to disappear off the radar completely when it is close.

Re Infinity itself, that is still restricted by BT Broadband to lines with an estimate of 15Mbps+. Some if not most/all other FTTC suppliers will take orders as long as it is 5Mbps+, as Openreach now accept such orders from ISPs.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 27-Feb-11 17:01:11
Print Post

Well the BT checker would say so, or if not would at least give you a date.
Im 1.6km from my exchange and on ADSL2+ i get about the same speeds as you,
when my fibre gets activated within the next 2 weeks should get the full 40mb!
(regular) Sun 27-Feb-11 17:03:26
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

How far are you from cabinet Anom?

And yarwell, I did notice when the cabinet was about to be enabled a load of months ago, it said something like 'Your line will support WBC fibre to the cabinet with speeds of around 500Kbps download and 100Kbps upload'. something like that <<

That's all I had seen and that BT Business guy as mentioned above said I could get it but on the last line check he said I couldn't crazy
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to