General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User seank1990
(newbie) Sun 27-Feb-11 20:43:55
Print Post

BT Infinity Good for Gaming

[link to this post]

The checker says that BT Infinity is available on 2nd March and i am thinking of ordering it Option 2 my current speed is 1.75mb down and 300 upload

Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 2nd March 2011. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 32.7Mbps and upstream line speed of 7.5Mbps.

I am just wondering what it is like for gaming has anybody already got it had problems or has it improved. I play a lot of call of duty and there is normally two of us on the xbox at the same time is the upload speeds and Ping good with infinity also is option 2 unlimited or will i be slowed down for using to much as i am a heavy user
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 27-Feb-11 21:07:57
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity Good for Gaming

[re: seank1990] [link to this post]

Not got it myself, but people tell me that theyl end up hosting games due to the vast improvement.
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 27-Feb-11 21:15:16
Print Post

Isn't it Fastpath by default, being FTTC and all that? as Virginmedia Cable i think is as such

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 28-Feb-11 10:16:01
Print Post

I'm not on Infinity, I went for IDNet FTTC instead. However my estimates were 28.9/6.4Mbps. I connect at 39992/10000kbps.

Pings are 11-12ms.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.
Standard User orly
(experienced) Mon 28-Feb-11 19:26:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by seank1990:
The checker says that BT Infinity is available on 2nd March and i am thinking of ordering it Option 2 my current speed is 1.75mb down and 300 upload

Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 2nd March 2011. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 32.7Mbps and upstream line speed of 7.5Mbps.

I am just wondering what it is like for gaming has anybody already got it had problems or has it improved. I play a lot of call of duty and there is normally two of us on the xbox at the same time is the upload speeds and Ping good with infinity also is option 2 unlimited or will i be slowed down for using to much as i am a heavy user

It's pretty good. Pings for me are in the 20s but i'm from N. Ireland so it's a little higher than it might be on the mainland.

---
BT Infinity 8th July 2010
Connected to: P23 Kilmaine Road, Bangor, BT19 6DT (NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up

Previously:
BT Broadband, roughly 4mbit sync
4KM line / 54dB atten / 9dB SNR / Netgear DG834GT
Standard User Johnct
(committed) Mon 28-Feb-11 19:49:40
Print Post

just make sure you dont download more than 300 gigs per month
or your speed will be cut for 30 days at peak times to 2megs i just confirmtion from BT care
Standard User seank1990
(newbie) Mon 28-Feb-11 19:55:20
Print Post

[re: Johnct] [link to this post]

So even if im on the Unlimited option 2 there is a limit does the limit only come into place at peak times or is it 300gig for the hole month as i think im a pretty heavy user plus renting an HD Movie of xbox is on everage 10Gig per film so that limit will go down fast
Standard User Johnct
(committed) Mon 28-Feb-11 22:59:50
Print Post

this was the questions i asked BT care and the reply i got back

Hi i am thinking of getting bt infinity just a few questions first

does my speed get cut if i go over the 300 gigs usage per month
if it does what speed does it cut to at peak time hours ?
. does it stay at the cut speed for the next 30 days ?

thanks

Hi Johnct,

Thank you for the PM. The BT Infinity Broadband is still subject to our Fair Usage policy. This means that if you do go over the 300Gb mark your connection will be restricted during peak hours for the next 30 days. Your speed would be restricted to around 2Mbps during the peak hours for those 30 days.

Cheers
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 28-Feb-11 23:50:48
Print Post

Also uploads count towards the 300GB.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Mar-11 09:13:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by Johnct:
Hi Johnct,

Thank you for the PM. The BT Infinity Broadband is still subject to our Fair Usage policy. This means that if you do go over the 300Gb mark your connection will be restricted during peak hours for the next 30 days. Your speed would be restricted to around 2Mbps during the peak hours for those 30 days.

Cheers

300GB FUP. Also known as a monthly bit cap basically everywhere else in the world.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to