General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ifb_online
(newbie) Sun 27-Feb-11 20:50:23
Print Post

What's the biggest speed increase upgrading from ADSL 2 FTTC

[link to this post]

My inlaws' exchange gets upgraded to FTTC in September. Currently their ADSL only delivers 0.3Mbs down and 0.2Mbs up. The problem is that they are nearly five miles from the exchange.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has put up with similar figures and then been blown away by FTTC when they upgraded. It would be great to discover some huge speed hikes smile

I upgraded last week and from 0.6Mbs up and 3.8Mbs down I have had speed test figures as high as 8Mbs up and 38Mbs down. How about you?

Ian
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 27-Feb-11 21:46:34
Print Post

Re: What's the biggest speed increase upgrading from ADSL 2

[re: ifb_online] [link to this post]

Currently their ADSL only delivers 0.3Mbs down and 0.2Mbs up.

so they should get at least a 10 times boost

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User krazykizza
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 27-Feb-11 22:34:49
Print Post

FTTC is different to ADSL2+ as instead of being dependent on distance from exchange, distance from green street cabinet (PCP) counts. Should your order be accepted, the minimum speed you'll get will be at least 5mbps.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AOL > Virgin Media > Tiscali > Falconnet > UKFSN > Norfolk Internet
2mbps > Shapped 512k > 1mbps! > 6.5mbps > 4.5mbps > 6.5mbps
ADSL Joy. 31db att, 9db SNR, EntaFail.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ifb_online
(newbie) Sun 27-Feb-11 22:58:54
Print Post

[re: krazykizza] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by krazykizza:
FTTC is different to ADSL2+ as instead of being dependent on distance from exchange, distance from green street cabinet (PCP) counts. Should your order be accepted, the minimum speed you'll get will be at least 5mbps.

Apologies - I ran out of characters in the subject line so ADSL 2 FTTC should read ADSL to FTTC.

I fully understand the difference re FTTC. I don't know what their distance is to the cabinet, but I'm sure that much of their current problem is due to the cabinet distance from the exchange and so I an hoepful that FTTC will boost their connection considerably.

ian
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 28-Feb-11 00:24:26
Print Post

Distance of the cabinet from the exchange is completely irrelevant. Current ADSLx speed is completely irrelevant.

Only the distance from the cabinet matters.

Have you put their number into the BT Wholesale checker?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.
Standard User ifb_online
(newbie) Mon 28-Feb-11 09:23:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Distance of the cabinet from the exchange is completely irrelevant. Current ADSLx speed is completely irrelevant.

Only the distance from the cabinet matters.

Have you put their number into the BT Wholesale checker?

Oh dear, I think the question has become muddied! With bog standard ADSL, which is what they have at the moment, they are around 5 miles from the exchange and get very very slow speed. As FTTC will eliminate the cabinet to distance problem when their exchange gets upgraded later this year, I'm hoping they will have a dramatic increase in speed. That speed will depend on how far they are from the FTTC cabinet as the local loop is over copper. Anyway, this is all incidental. My main question is - has anyone here who has upgraded to FTTC seen a mega increase in speed, say from less than a megabit to 20, 30 or more?

Ian
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 28-Feb-11 09:35:39
Print Post

The answer is, by definition, yes. Frankly I can't understand why you are asking, as the question contradicts your saying you understand about FTTC, and also implies you haven't read any posts by people about the speeds they are getting.

Until recently you couldn't be connected at below 15Mbps, with an expected minimum throughput of 12Mbps.

BT Infinity is still like that. Openreach will now accept orders where the estimate is 5Mbps+, and some ISPs will order that, so there is hope even if a considerable distance from the cabinet.

Estimates from the BT Wholesale checker tend to be lower than achieved in practice, so just try their number and see what it says.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.
Standard User ifb_online
(newbie) Mon 28-Feb-11 10:29:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I'm sorry if my original question has been poorly presented. Let me simplify it.

Has anyone here managed to upgrade from a very poor ADSL connection (sub 1Mbs download speed) to FTTC and what kind of speeds are you getting now?

I hope that's clearer.

Ian
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Feb-11 11:18:14
Print Post

yes, but another lines experience is irrelevant to you. What matters is that specific line.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User andew
(regular) Mon 28-Feb-11 11:34:09
Print Post

I went from a fix 1meg line on adsl (my connection was really bad with adslmax enabled) to a 37769 profile on FTTC fairly close to full speed. I'm about 2.5 miles from the exchange, 400 metres from the cabinet.

Andrew
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to