General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Feb-11 22:37:56
Print Post

This may help somebody.

[link to this post]

Posting for info, may help somebody.

Got connected FTTC a couple of months ago. D/l speed a tad over 4MB/s dropped to 3.80 over a few days. Suffering intermittent disconnections, my logs looked much worse than the apparent reality. Once I noticed the logs I could see that they were correlating with drops in the PPP session (some very short indeed), sync never lost.

Engineer visit today (that makes two who think one cannot connect with the modem alone, but I digress). Replaced some tinned aluminium wire in my socket (which he said was a 'no no') with copper and replaced the modem; the first batch was faulty. He then arranged for my profile to be reset. 72 hrs of training to go, cannot use the BT tester during this period.

I can download at 4.36MB/s now. I was his first call of the day, normally when I am given a 08:00-13:00 hrs slot I wait for ages - hopefully a good omen.

Many thanks go to ADSL24 support for agreeing that there was a problem without any effort on my part.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 28-Feb-11 22:44:42
Print Post

Re: This may help somebody.

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DrTeeth:
cannot use the BT tester during this period.
I think the reason you can't use the BT tester is 'cos they've broken it again, it's been returning "Test Error" for me (and others) since yesterday pm mad

edit- working now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM

Edited by billford (Tue 01-Mar-11 10:37:22)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Mar-11 20:05:04
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

That is GOOD news for me.

I managed to use it earlier and thought my (re)training period had finished. My max d/l speed has dropped significantly since yesterday and I just hope that my speed can go up during training too.

Cheers

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 01-Mar-11 20:11:06
Print Post

Replaced some tinned aluminium wire in my socket (which he said was a 'no no')
Something wrong here. Tinned copper, yes, but tinned aluminium? Doesn't exist.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Mar-11 21:41:54
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:

"Tinned" means having a layer of solder on it, not necessarily covered with tin (http://www.mediacollege.com/misc/solder/tinning.html).

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 01-Mar-11 21:44:01
Print Post

"Tinned" means having a layer of solder on it, not necessarily covered with tin (http://www.mediacollege.com/misc/solder/tinning.html).
Yes, I know what it means.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 01-Mar-11 21:47:27
Print Post

Aluminium wire can be bought as tinned over copper-plating... might have been that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 01-Mar-11 21:58:23
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Yes, could be but the copper would be tinned. I think it may be stranded wire which has a solid end for the connector - that would be a problem.

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Mar-11 00:53:43
Print Post

Yes, could be but the copper would be tinned. I think it may be stranded wire which has a solid end for the connector - that would be a problem.

IIRC the engineer called the 'bad' wire 'bell wire'. Could be mistaken.

Meanwhile my max d/l speed has dropped to 3.65, hopefully, during the 72 hrs training, it can go up too.

DrT

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 02-Mar-11 08:37:38
Print Post

Eek "bell wire" shocked Hopefully that fixes the problem.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to