General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pouser
(regular) Tue 01-Mar-11 19:05:35
Print Post

Disappointing fibre install

[link to this post]

Had fibre installed last Wednesday...23 Feb and here is a typical speed test result:

best speed result

typical test result

The engineer was really surprised with the slow speed was and rang through to BT Wholesale. Their response was that my street cabinet was only enabled to 12mb and that was the maximum I would get. BT Infinity checker shows expected speed as 38.5mb.
The cabinet is about 200 metres from my house and is one of the large new ones. BT engineer equipment showed 39.99mb down on his tester

Was BT Wholesale right in saying the cabinet was only enabled to 12mb? The engineer said that they were not supposed to do speed tests but he did and found he got a max of around 11mb.

I am using an ethernet connection to my PC's not that it should make any noticable difference.

Prior to this I was able to get just about 2mb down and .25mb up so a vast improvement on upload speed...but thats not really any bonus is it?

Do I have cause for complaint here....? I understood that each new cabinet would be enabled at 'full' speed ...it seems this is not that case?

Steve
Exchange is Chesterfield and went live from 16 Feb
Standard User nmg196
(member) Tue 01-Mar-11 19:12:42
Print Post

Re: Disappointing fibre install

[re: pouser] [link to this post]

*POST DELETED* - sorry ignore this post... I had failed to read a critical line of your post smile

Edited by nmg196 (Tue 01-Mar-11 19:18:33)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Mar-11 19:13:23
Print Post

Please run the test at;

www.speedtester.bt.com

and post the test results.

The bit about only being enabled for 12 meg is pure BS. How old is the PC, my beast just cannot handle the speed, will always show around 17meg downstream, and I know for sure my line is spot on. The lads laptop shows around 37 via wireless. If the IP profile shown on the test is low, ring the CP, there's a fault.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User aquiss
(experienced) Tue 01-Mar-11 19:14:29
Print Post

Hi Steve,

Sounds a little fishy. What does the official BT speedtester report?
http://www.speedtester.bt.com

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Mar-11 19:14:52
Print Post

[re: nmg196] [link to this post]

am using an ethernet connection to my PC's not that it should make any noticable difference.

... err.

Standard User nmg196
(member) Tue 01-Mar-11 19:16:55
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Sorry, I did indeed miss that bit...
Standard User nmg196
(member) Tue 01-Mar-11 19:24:31
Print Post

Fundamentally, if he got 39.9Mb on his tester there's no reason why your own modem shouldn't get within a few percent of that. They're talking rubbish about "up to 12Mb" - that doesn't exist, In fact BT guarantee you will get 15Mb. Have you got another PC or laptop you can plug in to try? Perhaps you have a faulty NIC or cable. You need to try and eliminate any possible problem with your own connection or computer before calling them out or you could be charged.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Mar-11 19:29:22
Print Post

In fact the testers usually show a lower sync rate than that achieved by the VDSL modem.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 01-Mar-11 19:32:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by nmg196:
BT guarantee you will get 15Mb.
No problem with most of that post, but you are wrong there.

The minimum sync (barring the 5Mbps product) is 15Mbps. That isn't the issue for the OP.

Similarly the expected minimum throughput is 12Mbps, as you can see from the expected speed range on the BT Performance test.

It could be the ISP help is confused about the significance of the 12Mbps.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.
Standard User nmg196
(member) Tue 01-Mar-11 19:44:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I'm not wrong about about the 15Mb minimum speed as it's quoted all over the internet and was repeated by BT to me today when they installed mine. They say: "customers can expect a minimum download speed of 15Mb on its new Infinity packages.". The difference between sync and throughput on the BT speed tester is minimal (a few percent) and would not account for this chap's problem. By "guarantee" I did not mean that they will work to make your line achieve this speed, I just meant that they will not leave you with a BT Infinity connection if they do not get 15Mb minimum sync on their tester. Ie they will downgrade you back to ADSL.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to