General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 11-Mar-11 00:41:11
Print Post

Re: Disappointing fibre install

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mrnelster:
As I went on to explain in the thread, The pausing was caused when BT swapped to fast path.

I had the line monitored remotely and a graph for upload and download produced. The consensus came down to packet loss and resending of data, understandable on a long line with fast path enabled.
Except that you said BT blamed it on Sky's poor equipment, so you had the problem on Sky.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User mrnelster
(member) Fri 11-Mar-11 01:12:02
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In short what I explained was:

I had poor latency on Sky. That was due to high Interleaving settings.

BT blamed Sky, not me. There connection was no better. I wasn't happy paying more for something they said they could improve and didn't. In response they tried fast path. That is when the line became erratic and had to be reverted to interleaved.

My whole point was that BT should have known that they couldn't realitically improve latency on a 6km line and shouldn't have blamed Sky's equipment. That is all there in the thread.

You were being contradictory for some unknown reason. I thought it was obvious that long lines didn't handle fast path very well. I thought that was why Interleaving was adopted.

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 11-Mar-11 08:12:31
Print Post

If it's just down to a noisy line, then you'll be fine with FTTC.
If it's a line fault on the E-side, once again FTTC will fix it.
However, if it's a problem on the D-side, you may suffer lower speeds on FTTC.
wink

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 11-Mar-11 09:16:38
Print Post

Sub thread closed

Please don't derail threads by bringing other discussions into them.

On the technical side, it seems people are nit picking and playing semantic games too.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to