General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User StepOne
(newbie) Thu 03-Mar-11 15:10:58
Print Post

BT Infinity - is there any real competition?

[link to this post]

Hi,

BT Infinity has arrived for our home, which is great, but I just thought I'd look at other fibre broadband providers before jumping ship from Eclipse, my current ISP.

Zen, always a favorite, quotes £30/mth for 50GB plus £75 activation fee. Both plus Vat

Eclipse, quotes £39.95/mth for 100GB. Plus, I would have to buy a fibre compatible router.

BT, quotes £18/mth for 40GB which includes 'Unlimited calls to UK landlines at weekends' and a free hub. Although, there is a £25 activation fee.

Am I missing something here? For the average home user who probably doesn't need 100GB, why would anyone choose either Zen or Eclipse? Do ISP's other than BT have any chance in competing for home users with the current pricing differences?

Thanks!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-Mar-11 15:15:06
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity - is there any real competition?

[re: StepOne] [link to this post]

BT is pricing just as it did back in 2000/2001 ie at cost price in an attempt to gain market share

TalkTalk has said it will start to offer FTTC, and Plusnet are in the trial stages.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 03-Mar-11 15:48:14
Print Post

It is very hard for the others to compete with the extremely low price of BT Infinity. One has to wonder whether it is profitable.

I looked at most and narrowed it down to IDNet v BT. But I didn't want to include a calls package as I already get free E & W off BT as a long-standing phone Option 2 customer. So it was IDNet Starter v BT Infinity.

I then looked at the respective costs of Infinity Option 1 and 2, and the £50 setup on Option 1 brings it to nearly the same as Option 2 over 12 months. It is of course an 18-month contract.

I chose IDNet because there already signs of congestion on Infinity and that can only get worse. I trust IDNet to upgrade as necessary - that is after all one of their main selling planks. Only a 12-month contract as well. I paid for the year up front to get one month free.

Even if I find my usage increase from my usual 7GB or so per month I have a lot of headroom before I might need to upgrade, even though in effect I have a 15GB allowance. No overnight downloading here tongue, so the 45GB available there is wasted.

On a suggestion from Matt of xilo/uno I got a Buffalo Airstation Nfiniti WHR-G300N for £23.56 delivered. It seems to be better than my previous all-in-one Speedtouches and Netgear 834 series ADSL routers.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User orly
(experienced) Thu 03-Mar-11 17:16:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by StepOne:
Hi,

BT Infinity has arrived for our home, which is great, but I just thought I'd look at other fibre broadband providers before jumping ship from Eclipse, my current ISP.

Zen, always a favorite, quotes £30/mth for 50GB plus £75 activation fee. Both plus Vat

Eclipse, quotes £39.95/mth for 100GB. Plus, I would have to buy a fibre compatible router.

BT, quotes £18/mth for 40GB which includes 'Unlimited calls to UK landlines at weekends' and a free hub. Although, there is a £25 activation fee.

Am I missing something here? For the average home user who probably doesn't need 100GB, why would anyone choose either Zen or Eclipse? Do ISP's other than BT have any chance in competing for home users with the current pricing differences?

Thanks!

Not really. But BT aren't really competing with other FTTC ISPs who are a lot smaller than they are. They're competing with Virgin and when you compare the prices between those two it becomes a lot clearer what it is happening and how BT have picked their spot.

Is Infinity profitable for BT? Who knows. If the older ADSL products are then there's no reason FTTC won't be the same longer term. For those on Option 2 it comes to a shade over 450 quid a year per customer (when you include line rental which BT makes a killing on). If you look through their Financial Reports for 2010 you can see they had a pretty good year with profits up and debt down by over 1 billion.

---
BT Infinity 8th July 2010
Connected to: P23 Kilmaine Road, Bangor, BT19 6DT (NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up

Previously:
BT Broadband, roughly 4mbit sync
4KM line / 54dB atten / 9dB SNR / Netgear DG834GT
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 03-Mar-11 18:42:09
Print Post

why would anyone choose either Zen or Eclipse?

fixed IP address, flexible SMTP service, English native support, Yahoo-free email, peak time speed, etc.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User mrnelster
(regular) Thu 03-Mar-11 19:29:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by StepOne:
[

Let's face it. Whatever the technology, everybody will have connection issues from time to time. For me it's not all about what happens when things go wrong.

I buy the bread from Morrissons and the Steak from Waitrose.

[wink]

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(member) Thu 03-Mar-11 21:54:56
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by orly:
Not really. But BT aren't really competing with other FTTC ISPs who are a lot smaller than they are. They're competing with Virgin and when you compare the prices between those two it becomes a lot clearer what it is happening and how BT have picked their spot.

This does make me wonder whether BT will introduce different prices for FTTC in areas where they are not competing with Virgin.

I would like to see BT price FTTC at a level where they can afford to cover nearly all of the country. Virgin should contribute to the cost of doing this.

Michael Chare
Standard User orly
(experienced) Thu 03-Mar-11 22:00:40
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
In reply to a post by orly:

This does make me wonder whether BT will introduce different prices for FTTC in areas where they are not competing with Virgin.

I would like to see BT price FTTC at a level where they can afford to cover nearly all of the country. Virgin should contribute to the cost of doing this.

Not that many Virgin areas here in N.Ireland and none within about 12 miles of my town but Infinity is the same price as anywhere else. You can click my exchange details in my signature for more information.

---
600m (approx) to cabinet

Previously:

Edited by orly (Thu 03-Mar-11 22:01:12)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 03-Mar-11 22:56:00
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

your wrong yes is quite a few areas that has VM in N.Ireland
Standard User orly
(experienced) Thu 03-Mar-11 23:02:58
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
your wrong yes is quite a few areas that has VM in N.Ireland

Bits of Belfast, Londonderry, Holywood and Lisburn from memory?

Not exactly vast coverage.

---
600m (approx) to cabinet

Previously:
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to