General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 05-Mar-11 10:04:43
Print Post

Advice on FTTC Providers

[link to this post]

My Cab on the Haslington Exchange is due to go live on 10th March. im Currently With Sky unlimited and they have been fantastic im currently getting 4.5mb on an old style cab.

Im Currently looking at BT but i know there FUP is extreme my question is im a big downloader on P2P sites/programs now i can except that this would be done off peak but does the FUP still effect through put ? or does it reach its full potential also what speeds to BT limit the P2P in peak hours? becuase if its around 4.mb im not going to be any worse off !

any advice on this or other FTTC providers (with Good Packages Welcome)

Many Thanks in Advnace for any replys

Darren

(Haslington Exchange )
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sat 05-Mar-11 12:12:34
Print Post

Re: Advice on FTTC Providers

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Unreservedly recomment ADSL24, I'm on their 45GB pro package. No shaping or throttling, unlimited is just that.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 05-Mar-11 12:14:59
Print Post

P2P traffic is throttled by BT at all times.. How much, I have no idea as I am not with BT. Go over the FUP and you are limited to 2Mb for the next 30 days.

Have a look at Robertos site, which has details on FTTC providers and their offerings..

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pokchop1st
(newbie) Sat 05-Mar-11 12:24:20
Print Post

ADSL24 I agree with the Doc,that's the one I will be going with.PTP rules lol.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 05-Mar-11 13:03:15
Print Post

[re: pokchop1st] [link to this post]

if i was to go with adsl24 or none bt would this router be ok for connection

http://www.technicolor.dslshop.co.uk/789_datasheet.a...
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 05-Mar-11 13:13:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
if i was to go with adsl24 or none bt would this router be ok for connection

http://www.technicolor.dslshop.co.uk/789_datasheet.a...
Ah! Um!

Currently all Openreach FTTC, (which is what we are talking about, the other FTTC being Virgin Media cable), is installed by Openreach.

They fit a new filtered faceplate to your master socket and supply a VDSL2 modem.

BT Infinity supplies a "cable" router (a special version of the Home Hub) to connect to the modem. With others ISPs such as ADSL24 either you buy a cable router from them or elsewhere. I have a Buffalo WHR-G300Nv2.

Openreach rules are that you must use their supplied modem. Replacing it with a VDSL2 router such as the one you quote is not allowed.

Having said that, have a good read of this thread. IIRC the 789 is featured.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 05-Mar-11 13:21:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

am i corrct i thinking the router i posted is both a cable and adsl modem ? basically all in one solution
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 05-Mar-11 13:27:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
am i corrct i thinking the router i posted is both a cable and adsl modem ? basically all in one solution
It seems so, yes. But the point is you aren't allowed to use it on FTTC.

Read that thread I linked you to. The OP bought one.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 05-Mar-11 13:44:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

does not say anything on adsl 24

Your existing ADSL or ADSL2+ router will not work with Fibre Broadband due to the new technology, so you will require a standard (non-ADSL) router (also known to as a 'Cable router') which you can then plug the provided VDSL2 modem into and share the connection on your network.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 05-Mar-11 13:59:54
Print Post

Does not say anything about what?

It says exactly what I did about a VDSL2 modem is supplied. So perhaps you mean it doesn't say you must not replace the Openreach modem.

In which case ADSL24 need to make it clearer. They need to include that statement in what you quote.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to