General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jdowning640
(member) Sat 05-Mar-11 21:52:43
Print Post

A few questions...

[link to this post]

Ok so here's what's happening:

I live in an exchange which has FTTC enabled. My cabinet is definitely enabled and so is the exchange.

I live exactly 1.8 miles from the fibre cabinet and live 2.0 miles from the exchange - they are situated very very close to each other.

Right now I get approximately 5Mbps (download) on speedtests and here is what my router stats are:

PI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 8.0 dB / 23.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 36.2 dB / 20.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 11.0 dBm / 1.8 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 2053 / 52
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 1230 / 66
HEC Errors (Down/Up) 36645 / 57
Error Seconds (Local/Remote) 191 / 53

I have a number of questions which I may have put in another thread but I can't find where they are so I'll have another crack, sorry if I'm being annoying.

1) FTTC doesn't show up on the Wholesale Checker. Before the cabinet was enabled, it showed up that WBC FTTC will be available and I will be able to get speeds of 500Kbps download and 100Kbps upload.
Whenever the cabinet was enabled, this disappeared. For those that lived closer it's obviously showing that they can get FTTC services now. Why did it disappear?

2) I get 5Mbps now as I said above, I believe the threshold for fibre is 5Mbps+ but what speed improvements if any would I see? My exchange isn't ADSL2 enabled therefore the cabinet supported a maximum of 8Mbps which I am close enough to syncing to (in fact, at one time, I did sync at 8Mbps).

3) I think BT might be shaping me right now. For example, my pings have been in their thousands and hundreds over the past few weeks although no one else near me gets these problems (my other line gets a ping of 70 [which is normal for me] and so does my neighbours.
I changed from BT Consumer to BT Retail and the switch was made last night, it is still slow. If I could by any chance move to FTTC would the ping be lowered?
And the change from BT Consumer to BT Retail didn't fix the current ping problems.

4) What upload speeds, if any, could I receive if I went to FTTC (I currently get about 0.36Mbps/0.448Mbps). We use VoIP so upload speed is quite important to our business.

5) Can providers place a manual order providing that no details for FTTC shows up on the wholesale checker? Even if I told them I don't care if I get speed improvements of 1Mbps, I'd preferably prefer to get higher speeds (especially upload as mentioned above).

6) Just an off the plot question, is there a fault somewhere if one minute I get speeds of 0.3Mbps download and the next minute get 5Mbps? This happens me occasionally.

Thanks for your help, Jack.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 05-Mar-11 22:08:34
Print Post

Re: A few questions...

[re: jdowning640] [link to this post]

?
Do you mean you cannot find your posts and the answers?

If you click your own name it shows your published profile. Near the bottom of that is "Show all user's posts". If you click that it lists them.

You have exactly 100 at the moment, basically all about this, in only a few threads.

So if you try each thread and read in Flat mode you should be fine smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.
(member) Sat 05-Mar-11 22:10:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi Roberto, gotcha' thanks... just figured I asked some about what speed I would expect on the other threads, do you have any idea about the other questions smile

Thanks,

Jack

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 05-Mar-11 22:11:51
Print Post

Voip per channel should only need 64Kbps ior so, so if its not working well with current upstream then something else is wrong

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Sat 05-Mar-11 22:15:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yeah but we use a lot of other stuff as well as VoIP which steals speed from it (use QoS, helps a bit but we use too much upstream).
(member) Sat 05-Mar-11 23:24:50
Print Post

I think this is getting worse...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1186383120.png

God help me now.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 05-Mar-11 23:27:10
Print Post

Your first hop has all the latency. Change ISP. Got any LLU in your exchange?

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
(member) Sat 05-Mar-11 23:31:00
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

http://i52.tinypic.com/pnhh5.png

So does that definitely mean it's beyond my control?

Nope, my exchange doesn't have LLU. Doesn't that mean that BT will still control my (if it's not my problem) pings? And why isn't anyone else getting these problems - everyone else is getting 60-70ms pings and I'm the only one that is getting in it's hundreds, thousands and sometimes tens of thousands.

Jack
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 05-Mar-11 23:36:00
Print Post

Dunno sorry, tracert the BBC again....

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
(member) Sat 05-Mar-11 23:40:59
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

See 90% of the time it is extremely high, and just went I tested it was considerably lower...

http://i54.tinypic.com/116ozzr.png

And then I did it again and....

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1186396168.png
http://i51.tinypic.com/1zwbtj7.png

BT overseas don't have a clue what latency/ping is and keep referring me back to check your master sockets and all that rigmarole.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to