General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User eddie1150
(regular) Mon 07-Mar-11 18:35:23
Print Post

My FTTC Diary

[link to this post]

Thought id post this just incase anyone is at all interested smile
On o2 at the min, get just over 3mbit frown
See my BQM - http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/4afcb8fc275...
After much debate to choose ADSL24 or Aquiss, i went with Aquiss, ordered on 26/2/2011, and BT cancled my order 2 days later, shortly aquiss were in touch adbvising that the new date would be 18th of this month.
THe rest tba.... smile
Standard User eddie1150
(regular) Mon 14-Mar-11 20:41:16
Print Post

Re: My FTTC Diary

[re: eddie1150] [link to this post]

Got connected today, the Openreach engineer showed me his tool which synched at 40000kb/10000kb exactly, nothing less smile
Changed over the faceplate, connected the modem to my router, and hey presto works fine smile
Had a few issues with speed since first connected but seems to be sorting itself out now, very happy with the speed, which is better than the 3mbit i was getting smile
Standard User D_an_W
(member) Mon 14-Mar-11 20:54:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by eddie1150:
Got connected today, the Openreach engineer showed me his tool which synched at 40000kb/10000kb exactly, nothing less smile
Changed over the faceplate, connected the modem to my router, and hey presto works fine smile
Had a few issues with speed since first connected but seems to be sorting itself out now, very happy with the speed, which is better than the 3mbit i was getting smile

His tool showed me 40000/10000 too wink The BT speedtest site says I can get 38717/10000 maximum and if I grab something from apple.com (For example) it comes in at 4.3MB/sec and Usenet speeds are obscene!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eddie1150
(regular) Mon 14-Mar-11 20:56:43
Print Post

[re: D_an_W] [link to this post]

Indeed smile
Usenet is dragging down 4.35MB/s at the moment smile
It was the engineers 4th install on my cab, and the first he had done where it wasnt provuided by BT, which is why when he rang me he was confused that i hadnt received a "black box", in which case he brought a home hub out of the van and was going to install it for me! Until i advised him im not with BT haha!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 14-Mar-11 21:02:32
Print Post

ive also choose aquiss how long did you have to wait to get install date from them
Standard User eddie1150
(regular) Mon 14-Mar-11 21:08:54
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Ordered 26th Feb.. Installed 2 weeks later, but the date was given 2 days after! (and only because i orederd on a sat)
Standard User D_an_W
(member) Mon 14-Mar-11 21:15:23
Print Post

Yeah I was the first none BT one the guy had done back in December...he wasn't really sure what to do, I just told him not to worry and it would all be OK smile

Standard User eddie1150
(regular) Mon 14-Mar-11 21:24:09
Print Post

[re: D_an_W] [link to this post]

Theres something definitely wrong with mine,
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1201858786.png
Those are the speeds im getting at the min via HTTP, however via usenet i get the 4.35MB/s
Its strange crazy
Standard User D_an_W
(member) Tue 15-Mar-11 06:19:33
Print Post

I don't worry about speed tests too much, the TBB one has always showed me way slower than I know I can actually download at, grab an iOS update from apple.com and see what that comes in at (Or something from MS).

You are still in the 10 day "training" period too don't forget.

Standard User colesy10
(newbie) Tue 15-Mar-11 11:18:00
Print Post

Hi eddie,
Have look at what node you are on, and have a look http://noc.enta.net/21cn-interconnect-status/ to see the node status.
When you run a speedtest.net test, also try different servers, try the Aquiss speedtest straight after to compare speeds.
Make sure you also perform one using the offcial Bt speedtester. This can only be done once an hour though, and this will enable Aquiss to report any fault which falls below the allowed limits to BT.
  Print Thread

Jump to