General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Mar-11 11:37:44
Print Post

Got FTTC? How is the master socket configured?

[link to this post]

My area of SW London is currently undergoing some updating as regards Internet connectivity. Under the new FTTC project, BT are installing some new street cabinets and optical fibre into some of the pavement ducts.

I myself am especially interested in eventually changing from my ADSL2 connection to an FTTC one, though I suspect that, for reasons outside my control, that might not be for some time yet. But in so doing I want to make other changes at home. I'll want to retain my Windows PC's Ethernet connection as a wired one but I'll also now want to include a Mac laptop into my setup in the form of wireless connection. I'll of course need a VDSL modem, which I gather will be supplied via BT, and I fancy getting a new router such as the Bipac 7800N, to partner that modem. I gather that the 7800N handles both wired and wireless connections.

My understanding is that BT will insist on installing the modem next to my master socket. So, I'm currently trying to plan how best to topologically arrange my new system, especially as my master socket is situated in my living room but my computer room is two rooms away (currently linked with a wired connection from the back of the master socket). My preference will be to have the 7800N in that computer room. Obviously, before ordering FTTC, I'd want to fully prepare my setup, in terms of the requisite wiring.

I'm lacking information, though, on exactly how BT will need to change the master socket and the new connections to/from it. Without this, I can't properly plan my new wiring. I intend using Cat5e cable for a new wired connection (replacing the old one, which will now be used only for a telephone) which I believe will need to run from the VDSL modem to an RJ45 socket in the computer room.

So, can anyone here who's already got fibre broadband supply any pictures of their home connection, so that I can see what sort of new master socket will be fitted, how the VDSL modem will attach to it, and what filters will be used to enable landline phones to be included in the setup? Information on this seems all a bit woolly at the moment. In my case, the very least I'll require is a new NTE5, as my socket's a pre-1980 type. Standard phone wiring runs from the back of it, through an adjacent room, to a slave BT socket in the computer room, to which my existing ADSL router is attached. At that slave socket, I also have a plug-in filter, allowing me to attach a phone there.

As an aside, I've been keeping a general eye open for FTTC activity in my part of this suburb. The local exchange is due to go live at the end of March (or at least, that's the theory). Last Summer, fibre was installed under the main drag and, last month I noticed that two new cabinets were installed in the main road that runs parallel to mine. Sure enough, just two days ago, I bumped into BT installing fibres in that road, from those cabinets, and I stopped and talked to them about it. Contrary to what I was anticipating, they're doing it very ad-hoc. From what I was told, it seems that not all of the subscribers on that exchange will get FTTC in the first phase. So, I suppose the money is being spread quite thinly. Anyway, I'm living in hope. It'll be great to have a much faster connection, as I'm on a long, ropey copper line at present and can only reliably sync at 3.5M bps. My predicted sync on FTTC is 27M bps.
Standard User Ribble
(regular) Fri 11-Mar-11 12:39:53
Print Post

Re: Got FTTC? How is the master socket configured?

[re: meditator] [link to this post]

I dont have FTTC but they will provide a new NTE with a built in xDSL filter , much like the origianl engineer ADSL installs but the design is different.
VDSL is then filtered at the NTE and any phone extension wiring is connected in the usuall manner, so no further filters are required.
I believe currently there is scope for the technician to move the existing socket, but it may not meet your requirements as to what they can reasonably do. Alternatively I believe they still offer the 30m data extension kit, which is basically an ethernet cable with a plug on one end that connects to the new faceplate, and socket at the other where the modem is connected.
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Mar-11 14:48:45
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Unfortunately, Ribble, that's all pretty vague. I knew that already. Thanks for attempting to help, though.

Filtering, in order to separate out VDSL from phone (or from anything else), can in principle be done internally (within the NTE5, or newly-designed NTE5 if such a thing exists) or externally. I need to know how it'll be done.

Using a 30m extension cable will not be a practical proposition in my case, nor in many others. Instead, getting wiring from the one room to the other will, as now, require going through solid walls, around skirting boards and then through walls again, at each end terminating properly in a wall-mounted RJ45 socket.

The only way to gauge this is to for me to ask someone who has FTTC already and who's taken an interest in this side of it. That's of course what I'm doing here.

The impression I've hitherto gained is that BT will come along and 'fit a modification' to the NTE5, and that, as a consequence, that mod will allow a VDSL modem to be connected (and presumably also allow one or more phones to also be connected?). If an NTE5 doesn't already exist, they'll fit one anyway. One particular point I need clarifying is whether the 'modification' will allow for slave phone extension wiring to still be used (of the kind permanently wired into the back of the master socket).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 11-Mar-11 14:59:29
Print Post

Some stuff here may help http://bt.custhelp.com/app/hub/c/346,3014,3016

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User Squirrel
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Mar-11 15:01:41
Print Post

I described my setup in this post

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/3969054-re-...

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 11-Mar-11 15:17:53
Print Post

I've added a picture of it to my FTTx page. Modem connects into the top, phone to the bottom. Extensions if any are wired off the back of the bottom removable bit, just like a normal faceplate shown removed on this page.

As Ribble says, the engineer will replace the old master socket. He has three options at least re the wiring. I started this reply a while ago and have had many interruptions, including taking the photo and updating the web page, so some of what I'm putting you have already met.

Option 1 is to put it where the old master is and reconnect any existing extension wiring to it. Modem close to it.

Option 2 would be as Option 1 but run an (up to 30m) data extension cable to where you want the modem.

Option 3 would be as Squirrel describes his installation. Sounds best, as long as that existing extension cable is suitable.

Re a router, the Buffalo WHR-G300Nv2 is what I have and it seems fine. Two posters have since got them, see this post and MrGrumpy in the same thread. Darn good for under £25!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Standard User Ribble
(regular) Fri 11-Mar-11 16:04:20
Print Post

The Filter is an Interstitial design, bit like the I-Plate. The existing service plate is removed, but any existing extension wiring is left connected. The VDSL filter is then fitted to the NTE5 and the original service plate (with any phone extension wiring still connected) is replaced.
In your case though, the technician will likely reconnect any extension wiring as you will require a new NTE5.
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Mar-11 16:45:43
Print Post

[re: Squirrel] [link to this post]

Thanks for both of those links. Very useful.

I think one of the re-wiring schemes I've had in mind (on the existing user side of my master socket) to perform before ordering FTTC will comply with BT's requirements for that. You see, the thing is that my computer and associated equipment will be two rooms away from the master socket, and I live in a place with solid floors. So, there's no way that any BT technician would have the time or inclination to drill through walls and install Cat5e wiring from room to room to room. I myself will do that, well in advance. I've got the necessary cable and appropriate RJ45 sockets. I'll leave my existing hard-wired phone extension (IDC connectors on the back of the master socket) in place, as that extension will still be needed for the phone in the computer room. I'll run a separate hard-wired Cat5e from a socket next to the new master socket to the computer room, to feed the router there.

The only doubt I have about such an arrangement would be that the existing phone/ADSL extension would represent a large spur on the end of the FTTC line and, unless buffered from the FTTC line in some way, would ruin the performance of the FTTC line. I think it's probably for that reason that, in one of the recently-described FTTC installations, the technicians turned the phone extension socket into a new master socket and then ran a phone line back to the original master socket. Hmm, am going to have to give this some more serious thought.

As an aside, I was also wondering where BT's RJ11 connection comes into the picture. On the faceplate of the new master socket, I'll need a phone socket (as I have two landline phones, one by the master socket and the other at the extension socket in the computer room). And presumably, that same master faceplate will contain a connection to the VDSL modem (which in my case will be about a metre away)? So, will that modem connection involve an RJ11 connector? Am I correct in assuming that, on the router side of the modem, the connection will be RJ45 to RJ45?

Afterthought: an unwanted spur will be avoided if the filter for the extension is incorporated into the master socket (NTE5), rather than being a discrete one, as at present, on the far end of the extension. Otherwise, in retrospect, I don't think swapping around the master and slave locations would have any beneficial effect.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 11-Mar-11 17:21:26
Print Post

The advantage of swapping the master into the computer room is that both the modem and router would be there, rather than cluttering up the existing master location with the modem.

The link between the modem and the router is standard ethernet plugs, with appropriate (CAT5 is fine) cable.

The phone socket on the new faceplate, as shown in my pic, is indeed filtered. That's the point of it. So are any extensions wired off it.

The only reason I could see for fitting a new socket by the existing master, assuming you get the replacement put there, would be to feed a short ethernet cable from the modem to it, to supply the router in the computer room. At which point the location of the modem starts to look like a comms room.

As a possibly relevant point, as I understand it the latest VDSL faceplates have an unfiltered connection on them to feed extension data cables, rather than the current extender which just plugs into the front VDSL socket. Now if you were supplied with one of those faceplates, your "waiting" CAT5 could be connected to those unfiltered ones. Then the modem could be in the computer room.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Mar-11 19:34:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Not sure why the OP is so worried ? 'The engineer not having the inclination to drill walls and run cable'. That's what they do.

If the OP wished to make life simple, then they should run a standard CAT5 cable, suitably RJ45'd at either end, to where they wish the router to be, from the existing NTE. That way the engineer will fit the VDSL faceplate filter on the NTE, fix the modem next to that, then use your CAT5 to feed the router.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to