General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 12-Mar-11 13:31:23
Print Post

Victoria Exchange.

[link to this post]

Are not enabled for FTTC, nor have an enable date. So, this exchange serves 20k premises and businesses. So, what's an excuse NOT to enable them for FTTC? I'm stuck on my VM and I ALWAYS have high ping and constant throttling. If I could, I would've moved to BT infinity.
Standard User aquiss
(experienced) Sat 12-Mar-11 14:30:27
Print Post

Re: Victoria Exchange.

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
So, this exchange serves 20k premises and businesses.

What exchange?

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 12-Mar-11 14:36:10
Print Post

[re: aquiss] [link to this post]

This exchange in Brum fits the description.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 12-Mar-11 14:50:40
Print Post

I would not say you are stuck on VM there are lots of options on your exchange with different providers.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 12-Mar-11 15:27:55
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

The exchange is Victoria.
In reply to a post by vivaciti:
I would not say you are stuck on VM there are lots of options on your exchange with different providers.

I would. My BT line are too long, I will get an average of 6Mbps if I used BT line. I don't want lesser speeds.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 12-Mar-11 15:34:35
Print Post

I would. My BT line are too long, I will get an average of 6Mbps if I used BT line. I don't want lesser speeds.
Is that g.dmt or ADSL2+?

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 12-Mar-11 15:47:51
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:

Is that g.dmt or ADSL2+?

ADSL+2.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 12-Mar-11 21:41:10
Print Post

Well you are where you are. I assume you are on VM cable, but where do you get the 6Mbps figure from?

If it is from line checkers/estimators there is a fair chance you would get far more. As you would then have several ISPs available who don't throttle, you might get better actual speeds a lot of the time, and decent latency as well.

There are even some who will provide a phone line on monthly contract, and lots that do the broadband monthly. Even some that give you a month money-back trial, which might apply to the phone service as well. That would need checking.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 13-Mar-11 09:01:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Well you are where you are. I assume you are on VM cable, but where do you get the 6Mbps figure from?

If it is from line checkers/estimators there is a fair chance you would get far more. As you would then have several ISPs available who don't throttle, you might get better actual speeds a lot of the time, and decent latency as well.

There are even some who will provide a phone line on monthly contract, and lots that do the broadband monthly. Even some that give you a month money-back trial, which might apply to the phone service as well. That would need checking.

Yes, the ISP I'm looking at is BE Broadband. VM Cable has very high pings in games (Around 40-70 in quake3 based games). Problem is, I have Vonage phone and wireless that are cable only, it wouldn't work for BT line. Also my BT line is not connected so I would have to pay more than £100 for it to be connected. I have a friend who is 100 doors away from me (Same street but terraced house).

6Mbps figure came from line checkers/estimate from BT's wholesale and samknows.

Update: My friend gets 6Mbps from TalkTalk (Opal Telecom), exactly what the checker estimated.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 13-Mar-11 12:39:06
Print Post

Problem is, I have Vonage phone and wireless that are cable only, it wouldn't work for BT line.

Not sure what you mean by that, but surely the Vonage box plugs into a router? A BT line based ISP would also use a similar router to the Virgin cable one. Or you can get a modem and router separately and create the same setup as Virgin cable's cable modem and router combination.

Also my BT line is not connected so I would have to pay more than £100 for it to be connected.

Try the post office, they can be cheaper and use a 1 month contract, rather than 12.

I have a friend who is 100 doors away from me (Same street but terraced house).
6Mbps figure came from line checkers/estimate from BT's wholesale and samknows.
Update: My friend gets 6Mbps from TalkTalk (Opal Telecom), exactly what the checker estimated.

No guarantee the wires run the same way from your friends house and yours.

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to