General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gruffle
(newbie) Sun 13-Mar-11 19:51:27
Print Post

Cabinet just outside-what chance I can get fttp?

[link to this post]

Cabinet is literally on my boundary, soon to be upgraded it seems - fingers crossed.

So can I give them a fibre connection to plug in?

If only it was that simple ...

but seriously does the cabinet need additional cards in it to provide fttp functionality or is this part of the standard connectivity
ie is it the case that fttp is not generally available with fttc unless BT do a specific fttp rollout for that area
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 13-Mar-11 19:56:38
Print Post

Re: Cabinet just outside-what chance I can get fttp?

[re: gruffle] [link to this post]

FTTP doesn't use the connections in the FTTC cabinet.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 13-Mar-11 19:58:05
Print Post

Nothing happens to your existing cabinet except it gets a new set of incoming copper cables from the FTTC cabinet. The existing ones from the exchange stay in place.

The FTTC cabinet contains a DSLAM that puts out the VDSL2 signal. FTTP is a different ball game altogether.

I have a fuller description here.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gruffle
(newbie) Sun 13-Mar-11 20:11:19
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

so what does fttp use then?

Surely you're not telling me they pull a fibre from the exchange?

I would have thought the dslam cabinets would have a rack with vdsl2 cards for Cu (fttc) connections and option to add "fttp" cards for fibre connections.
Standard User Ribble
(regular) Sun 13-Mar-11 20:12:27
Print Post

ie is it the case that fttp is not generally available with fttc unless BT do a specific fttp rollout for that area

Thats right. BT FTTP uses a different network topology (GPON) to their FTTC network (point to point fibre)
Initiall plans were for areas to be either FTTC or FTTP but they are now looking into mixed FTTC/P, the so called mixed economy. What it will mean iin those area is that either FTTC or FTTP will be available to indvidual properties/streets, but not likely to be both as each type of service will run over a seperate local access fibre network

Edited by Ribble (Sun 13-Mar-11 20:16:05)

Standard User Ribble
(regular) Sun 13-Mar-11 20:13:49
Print Post

so what does fttp use then?

FTTP=GPON.
FTTC=Point to Point fibre
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 13-Mar-11 20:50:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

it gets a new set of incoming copper cables from the FTTC cabinet.

Incoming and outgoing, to be technically correct, and I know you always want to be correct, don't you Bob ! grin

Standard User gruffle
(newbie) Sun 13-Mar-11 21:20:32
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

thanks Ribble, Have to admit to being totally bemused by this.

I cannot for the life of me understand why fttc would be rolled out without apparent consideration for fttp which for high demand users, businesses and in general "the future" is the way things need to go.

Surely the fibre or fbres is just a high bandwidth medium onto which one (or more) tranport layers are placed.

The real cost here is pulling the extra cables and installing the cabinets not the electronics.

Let's hope the "mixed" solution establishes itself and quickly too as fttc speeds will be archaic within 3-5 years.
Standard User Lemzip
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 13-Mar-11 21:28:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by gruffle:
Let's hope the "mixed" solution establishes itself and quickly too as fttc speeds will be archaic within 3-5 years.

At least 1/3rd of the country wont have a fibre solution by 2015 so doubt it will be archaic by any means.
Standard User gruffle
(newbie) Sun 13-Mar-11 21:46:24
Print Post

[re: Lemzip] [link to this post]

was referring to international standards not UK pathetic provincial standards.

Currently both of my offices are on major industrial estates.
One gets 4Mb adsl which only works for about 80% of the time, the other gets a full 5Mb.

10 YEARS AGO I went to Korea on business and got a FREE 10MB FULL ETHERNET connection at the hotel, thinking this was pretty special I asked around and guess what they all had the same at home too, went to another area - exactly the same. Trying to explain we were on ISDN dialup at the time just left them shaking their head in disbelief.

I keep in touch with one of the guys out there and he now has 100MB full ethernet - at home - $15 per month.

The reason this is important to me? - Well I have to run a vpn between the offices which behaves so poorly that I am having to consider closing one of the offices and making c15 people redundant. That's the real cost.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to