General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User leejhamilton
(newbie) Mon 21-Mar-11 17:32:47
Print Post

Any way of finding out if my local cabinet is getting FTTC?

[link to this post]

After some help, i currently live in an estate which is only 10 years old, my street is the only one on estate that cant get virgin cable (tried cablemystreet with no success). My local exchange is getting FTTC from end this month and tried my postcode, but checker says no fttc. I tried a postcode for a nearby street (approx 500m away) and they will be getting fttc. Now what im trying to do is find out where my local cabinet is and whether it will be upgraded. Is there any way I can get this information or is it just a game of waiting and hoping?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 22-Mar-11 04:41:18
Print Post

Re: Any way of finding out if my local cabinet is getting FT

[re: leejhamilton] [link to this post]

Follow your phoneline smile It's usually not that far.

If you lose it underground, just drive around until you see it (google to find out what the cabinet looks like).
Standard User Zadeks
(member) Tue 22-Mar-11 06:09:25
Print Post

[re: leejhamilton] [link to this post]

Enter your phone number into the BT wholesale checker.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(committed) Tue 22-Mar-11 10:11:37
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Follow your phoneline smile It's usually not that far.

If you lose it underground, just drive around until you see it (google to find out what the cabinet looks like).
I believe they can actually be several km away so that may be tricky. I've no idea where my nearest one is - not found one anywhere in the village - but I do know it's due to be upgraded. Estimated download speed is 31.7Mb if anyone can work out a distance from that!

Kevin

Plusnet Extra
Using OpenDNS
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 22-Mar-11 11:13:24
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

With an estimate like that its only a couple of hundred metres

Some 90% of phone lines are within 1km of their street cabinet

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kasg
(committed) Tue 22-Mar-11 11:34:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
With an estimate like that its only a couple of hundred metres
I thought as much. I'll have to go for another walk, but I've still no idea where it is.

Kevin

Plusnet Extra
Using OpenDNS
Standard User WWWombat
(regular) Tue 22-Mar-11 16:11:32
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

I get an estimate of 30.1/6.2.

My cabinet is 500m away, measured along the route the line is most likely to have gone by when the estate was built (15 years ago).

At the time I first looked, I didn't know where my cabinet was.

However, there was a useful map available that showed which postcodes would get FTTC service. More importantly, from this point of view, it also gave the cabinet # for each postcode and the location of that postcode.

Armed with that information, I started interrogating the BT DSL checker to get estimates for different local places - sometimes I used postcodes for a rough estimate, and sometimes I used a phone number to get more accurate results (some phone numbers I knew, and some I just googled).

That set of results gave me a rough idea of exactly where the cabinets were - because they had to be close to the places that had 40Mb estimates, right?

Unfortunately, Openreach got that map removed, so you can't see the postcode & cabinet numbering any more. The technique is still possible, but you have to find your local postcodes elsewhere, and their locations, and still be lucky anyway.
  Print Thread

Jump to