General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 26-Mar-11 00:40:41
Print Post

FTTC IP Profile for your line

[link to this post]

Just after some knowledge around the FTTC IP Profiles, mines below

IP Profile for your line is -38717 Kbps and my up is 10000

My Question is should my down profile not be 40000 ? i have downloaded at 4.7 mb/s on the above line profile. is the above line profile correct ?

oh im on AQUISS

any info on this would be geat or how the profile system works
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 26-Mar-11 01:58:57
Print Post

Re: FTTC IP Profile for your line

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

believe 38.7 is the highest it goes to.

---
BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up

Click here to see Comparison of FTTC ISPs
Which FTTC ISP do you use?
Standard User D_an_W
(committed) Sat 26-Mar-11 05:33:19
Print Post

As orly says, the device the engineer showed me read 40000/10000 but the BT site also shows me 38717/10000 (I too can download at 4.3 / 4.5MB/sec).

I wouldn't worry about the profile unless it drops wink

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 26-Mar-11 09:03:33
Print Post

The highest IP Profile is 38717, which you have.

If a speed test or anything shows much over 38000kbps, (I think the highest valid one I have seen on these forums was something like 38395kbps), then whatever you are using to test is getting it wrong.

Ookla-based testers can do that, and if they are run on a system with Kaspersky or Avira can record a few hundred-thousand kbps.

It's all to do with buffering and sample selection.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Apr-11 22:39:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

My profile has dropped due to a suddenly heat-sensitive modem, which is due to be replaced. It was causing multiple connects and reconnects (DSL sync was being lost and regained every minute or so).

The last time I had problems (also due to a faulty modem) the engineer had to make a phone call to get DLM started again to reset the profile. Shouldn't it go up on its own or is the system as unforgiving as that on BT's ADSL platform?

TIA

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

Edited by DrTeeth (Mon 04-Apr-11 22:40:44)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 05-Apr-11 00:16:19
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

BillFord reports that his IP Profile is quite unstable, but adjusts upwards much more quickly than the IPStream and WBC ones.

Whether there has been a target noise margin effect on your line would only show up with one of the VDSL routers that have been tried by others.

That could give rise to an interesting conversation with support if it did show it had been raised.
You: My target noise margin has been raised due to a faulty modem that you gave me.

Them: How do you know that Sir?

Y: I used a VDSL router of my own instead of your modem.

T: You are required to use the supplied modem at all times Sir, so you have broken the terms of your guarantee. Goodbye Sir.
Seriously I expect if there has been an effect it will correct itself more quickly than the old system as well.

Will this be your third modem then?

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Apr-11 17:38:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi

Yes, it will be my third modem. BT confirmed that the first batch was faulty and made sure that the replacement was from a different batch.

If the DLM is 'better' than that applying to ADSL, I wonder why the engineer made a phone call to get it reset.

All will be clear in the end.

Cheers

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 05-Apr-11 22:03:17
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DrTeeth:
... I wonder why the engineer made a phone call to get it reset
Perhaps because as we all know, BT engineers are paragons at logical progression, just like dentists.

I do greatly admire dentists. There are few jobs where you don't have the luxury of a second chance if you screw up, even to a minor degree.

Standard User paul1360
(member) Wed 06-Apr-11 12:23:54
Print Post

I had infinity installed yesterday and the Engineer showed me on his machine 40Mb/10Mb
I just checked my IP Profile and it's set the same as yours 38717Kbps - 10000Kbps
When I checked y'day I was getting 37.49Mb - 8.22Mb, this morning I got 37.51Mb - 8.14Mb but here's the thing that I don't understand y'day when I checked my LapTop I got 14.65Mb - 6.01Mb, Today I have 30.29Mb - 7.90Mb both with signal strengths of 75%

iechyd da
Standard User krazykizza
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Apr-11 12:30:14
Print Post

You won't get the max speed on FTTC, just like on ADSL you won't get 8mbps.

IP profiles are there to stop data from crashing on the recieving end and therefore requesting the data again.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AOL > Virgin Media > Tiscali > Falconnet > UKFSN > Norfolk Internet
2mbps > Shapped 512k > 1mbps! > 6.5mbps > 4.5mbps > 6.5mbps
ADSL Joy. 31db att, 9db SNR, EntaFail.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to