General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User AJHB
(learned) Tue 29-Mar-11 13:41:14
Print Post

FTTC no longer planned

[link to this post]

My cabinet was due to have FTTC by september last year later confirmed as december 30th this date was then set back to march 31st and then to June. The dsl checker now doesn't mention FTTC despite the fact that the fibre cab was installed in October.

Samknows shows that FTTC is available to me with the exchange showing availability in some areas. I don't really know what going on with BT at the moment
Standard User WWWombat
(regular) Tue 29-Mar-11 14:09:37
Print Post

Re: FTTC no longer planned

[re: AJHB] [link to this post]

Their database does go down sometimes (so denies your number even belongs to them!), and sometimes forgets about the fibre stuff. If the data comes back later today or tomorrow, it will have been something like that.

Sometimes the predictor changes, and your predicted rates become too low - and the checker stops reporting them at all. This one will be harder to overcome.

What speed was it predicting for you before it went AWOL?

Which checker did you use? Do these two give the same story:
BT Wholesale
BT Infinity

I've been through very similar pain - where my cabinet was there in October, exchange was reported as live by BT in November, and the surrounding cabinets went live in December. But our cabinet took an extra 2 sets of roadworks, and 3 months, to get the power sorted out. The dates did the same as yours, but then suddenly swapped to being live 5 days ago.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 29-Mar-11 14:11:31
Print Post

I don't think Sam really knows with FTTC, same with cable. It just picks up that it's available "in the exchange area" but that isn't very helpful when checking a specific place, as you would do.

It all seems to come down to what the BT Wholesale checker says, as if that says "No", all the ISPs simply look at that and say no too, so just sitting and waiting appears to be the order of the day.

They may have decided not to do your area, they might have notionally done the "exchange" e.g. a couple of easy cabinets and left the rest, your line might be too long to the cabinet for VDSL anyway, and so on.

Someone on here had a list of the actual cabinets that were planned, which I think is what you need.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 29-Mar-11 14:42:46
Print Post

Disappearing completely from the BT Wholesale checker with that history often means the final works are in progress, and it comes back inside a few days as live. For some reason they seem to remove the predicted date - possibly so the work-completed posting by Openreach can trigger the live reading.

Cross fingers and hope, as that isn't 100% the case

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Mar-11 23:30:39
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
Which checker did you use? Do these two give the same story:
BT Wholesale
BT Infinity

Definitely something screwy going on with the BT Infinity checker..... It used to work but now doesn't even recognise my number, even though the Wholesale checker does and reports an available date of July 1st (yeah; like that'll ever happen).

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware

Edited by adebov (Tue 29-Mar-11 23:31:22)

Standard User AJHB
(learned) Sat 02-Apr-11 01:58:49
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

BT Wholesale
BT Infinity

Both those checkers say the same thing and have for about a week now. There's no way they are not doing the areas as the cab has been physically installed and is close by also the claimed speed before I dropped off was 33 mb down so I don't think I have fallen bellow the speed requirement.

The odd thing about the samknows checker is it gave a very specific date in march when fttc was to go live compared with the BT checker which has always shown placeholder dates, so it almost sounds like samknows knows what its talking about.
  Print Thread

Jump to