General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User WWWombat
(regular) Tue 29-Mar-11 15:40:36
Print Post

Plusnet Fibre Packages

[link to this post]

Plusnet have announced their coming packages, available from April 19th: http://www.plus.net/fibre/

Value package at £16.50 for 40GB, and Extra seems to be at £21.50 for 120GB.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 29-Mar-11 23:40:00
Print Post

Re: Plusnet Fibre Packages

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

With as yet unspecified (so far as I can see) traffic management.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Standard User WWWombat
(regular) Wed 30-Mar-11 02:39:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The sales page just says that traffic management will be there - but with the Plusnet ethos, there's no way it wouldn't be present.

A post on the forum, from Plusnet staff, says "The expected speeds on the Fibre variants of Value and Extra will *not* be the same as they are for their ADSL counterparts, however there *will* still be rate limits in place. "

Another post that "There will be rate limits akin to the current Value and Extra ones, although they will be less aggressive for customers taking Fibre."

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(regular) Wed 30-Mar-11 02:55:07
Print Post

I should say that I don't mind their traffic management.

I've read & understand the rationale behind the management they do, and I find myself in reasonable agreement. Its likely that the management they do on a day-by-day basis leads to the price levels they charge, but I also think that the kit (& experience of running it) means they ought to be better placed for emergency events that force an ISPs hand. Imagine a 9/11 or Diana event, and the traffic levels we'd get nowadays.

Of course, agreeing with a rationale is of no benefit if their choice of management happens to disagree with my needs. Luckily, I'm not put off by the data rates that are quoted - mostly because I'm not really using the protocols that get heavily squeezed mid-evening (P2P and binary Usenet).

Of course, once you find your own behaviour is met by the managed system, it offers you the great advantage that your service is protected from those who want to take the wee.

In addition, years of experience on an older tariff shows almost no problems. I once had horrendous 'ssh' terminal behaviour, when I ran my ssh on a non-standard port (to aid security). A change of port fixed this. Since then, no problems at all.

It isn't for everyone, but it isn't a monster either.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 30-Mar-11 09:36:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
I should say that I don't mind their traffic management.
A sentiment with which many will agree.
It isn't for everyone, but it isn't a monster either.
Very true. I didn't mean to imply it is smile. Just adding to the information.

My package isn't traffc managed. I like it that way. However my allowance doesn't get anywhere near Plusnet's, and I pay more. (It is competitive however with the BT Infinity offerings (which are the cheapest so far) in my case, which is why I chose it).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 30-Mar-11 09:39:05)

Standard User Corbula
(regular) Wed 30-Mar-11 12:55:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
The sales page just says that traffic management will be there - but with the Plusnet ethos, there's no way it wouldn't be present.

A post on the forum, from Plusnet staff, says "The expected speeds on the Fibre variants of Value and Extra will *not* be the same as they are for their ADSL counterparts, however there *will* still be rate limits in place. "

Another post that "There will be rate limits akin to the current Value and Extra ones, although they will be less aggressive for customers taking Fibre."

Just to add to this, a member of staff has said there will also be a "Pro-like" experience.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,9471...
Standard User kasg
(committed) Wed 30-Mar-11 13:12:20
Print Post

I'd be tempted to "downgrade" from Extra to Value when I get fibre (tomorrow according to the BT Wholesale checker - yeah, right!) because I get nowhere near the 60GB allowance on Plusnet Extra and I'm pretty sure 40GB would be enough for now.

Kevin

Plusnet Extra
Using OpenDNS
Standard User WWWombat
(regular) Wed 30-Mar-11 16:10:15
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Hehe - I've an order going through to get onto the trial using the current Extra package, because the current Value limit is too low. But we too are just below the new threshold for the fibre-Value package (in the high 30GB's for peak+off-peak), so that might make sense in a month or two.

However, one aspect learnt from the trial is that people's usage seems to go up by around 40% on fibre - presumably just by making HD video more accessible.

So, on balance, I think we're going to end up on the higher package anyway.
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Wed 30-Mar-11 17:53:28
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Like you, 60GB is more than I need. Maybe 30GB or 40GB, so the 40GB package would be fine. It's a moot point cos my exchange isn't even ADSL2 yet, but here's hoping.

My one concern is the likelihood of the better option (less management) being the 120GB one. Plusnet don't seem to offer a fast, unmanaged package with a reasonable usage allowance. On ADSL it's 20GB or 60GB, with the latter being more heavily managed.

There's no mid-package of 30-40GB with less management than the 60GB package. (Hintity hint for PN reps watching)

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011 - All rights and lefts reserved.

report this link
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Mar-11 19:06:03
Print Post

my comment which I put on the news page also.

is ironic BT seem to be struggling to find FTTC rollout viable in various cities and they the ones devaluing the product making it pay less as they own the 2 isp's selling it for cheap.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to