General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User colesy10
(learned) Sat 02-Apr-11 09:50:04
Print Post

My BQM query

[link to this post]

Hi,
Just curious as to whether anyone can shed any light on my spikes on the BQM

The odds spikes occur from 8pm to 8am with the odd break in between (probably for a cup of tea and a kit kat smile
I know some routers do not respond to pings as they could be too busy routing.
These small spikes seem to occur around every 15minutes or so and just curious as to if anyone had any suggestions as to why?

Here is an older graph as comparison.

Edited by colesy10 (Sat 02-Apr-11 09:51:02)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 02-Apr-11 17:20:36
Print Post

Re: My BQM query

[re: colesy10] [link to this post]

As you say, the regularity is strange.

Re their occurrence in the first place, they seem to be overnight and weekend? Not during weekday daytime? I assume the 10am big spike was something like a speed test, probably a BT one not speedtest.net or tbb.

So that could point to the Enta side of things perhaps? See mine (in my sig) for IDNet.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 02-Apr-11 17:37:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Took a bit of finding, but I knew I'd seen that pattern of spikes before...

Maniac886, in this thread here (though it wasn't the reason for the post):

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/3969092-my-...

There's a link to his live BQM in this post:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/3969830-re-...

Interesting that he says he's with Aquiss too...?

edit to add- no criticism of Aquiss intended, I'm sure there are many who'd kill for a BQM trace as clean as that!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM

Edited by billford (Sat 02-Apr-11 17:50:49)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User maniac886
(member) Sat 02-Apr-11 22:01:46
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Back in the day pre REIN I noticed these small spikes, I didn't notice anything wrong with my connection, I infact ran some ping tests through my Macbook and it was always around the 15-16ms mark and I ran a few speedtests as well, again they were around the 35Meg mark, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Aquiss FTTC Business 90
300m to cabinet
37.7mbit down / 8 mbit up
Standard User WWWombat
(regular) Sun 03-Apr-11 03:02:54
Print Post

[re: maniac886] [link to this post]

I guess the spikes can show if something else is keeping the line busy - such as a download.

You don't have anything like the Samknows/Ofcom blackbox performing any regular download tests do you?
Standard User colesy10
(learned) Sun 03-Apr-11 08:55:50
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Thank to all for the replies,
These spikes mostly occur during the evening and overnight, but they even show some during the days on the weekends. Never during 'office' hours weekdays.

No computers or other wired or wireless devices are on at all and I don't have a samknows blackbox.

It's not the router time being adjusted automatically and nothing is showing up on the router logs. Disabling dos attacks and spi doesn't stop it either. Disabling wireless doesn't stop it, even though I'm confident it's secure it was worth a try.

So I'm at a loss as to why these occur, and why they suddenly stop for a small perod of time. I can't see any problems using the traceroute tool from this site either.

Looking at maniacs graph this, like others have said, looks like to be Aquiss or Entanet. My findings are that comparing maniacs live graph to mine, the little drops occur on mine and maniacs graphs at exactly the same time for the same period of time.

Edited by colesy10 (Sun 03-Apr-11 09:01:20)

Standard User maniac886
(member) Sun 03-Apr-11 08:58:59
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Aquiss are actually monitoring my line at the moment due to my problems with REIN, I guess using a similar tool as the TBB monitor, which could explain the reason for the spikes?

Aquiss FTTC Business 90
300m to cabinet
37.7mbit down / 8 mbit up
Standard User colesy10
(learned) Sun 03-Apr-11 09:03:25
Print Post

[re: maniac886] [link to this post]

Maybe, because I am having speed issues aswell. These started on day 3 of me being with Aquiss. Your graphs and my graphs show the same lull in spikes at the same time for the same period.

Edited by colesy10 (Sun 03-Apr-11 09:06:18)

Standard User aquiss
(experienced) Sun 03-Apr-11 11:44:10
Print Post

[re: colesy10] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by colesy10:
Maybe, because I am having speed issues aswell.

colesy10, your issue is not the same as maniac886. Your service currently appears to be a exchange VLAN issue (or pointing in that general direction), which BT are investigating. maniac886's speeds tend to be fine when all is fine, however his sync has dropped due to a complicated REIN issue.

For reference your both going via different 21CN nodes (known to both, but I will keep private as it will reveal your geographic locations).

Standard User colesy10
(learned) Sun 03-Apr-11 19:17:45
Print Post

[re: aquiss] [link to this post]

Thank you Martin,
I was really referring to us both having issues with that remark, so it could be possible that monitoring was on my line.

Any idea on what the cause of these spikes are then, as they show up on mine and maniacs graph at the same time and vanish at the same time?

It's not a problem, I'm just curious.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to