General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Apr-11 19:54:28
Print Post

BT FTTC modem

[link to this post]

This bit of kit is rubbish.

I had one of the first, and that batch had a fault. Got a second one, and that has started overheating and cutting out (DSL light goes off - nothing showing at ISP's end). So only have 20 secs on and 20 secs off connection at the moment.

Are there any third party VDSL 2 modems available with a Gigabit ethernet port?

The connection only seems to have problems at the weekend.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 03-Apr-11 20:07:05
Print Post

Re: BT FTTC modem

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

if you only have problems at the weekend it is unlikely to be the modem unless it is placed on top of a hot item only used at weekends. Purchasing your own modem wouldnt be wise as these will not be supported even if you get it to work - if it is a line issue and the engineer sees you are using a third party modem then the faulting process wont even begin - a bt modem will be installed and you will be told to see how it goes and stop messing. These are supported by BT and as such you need to get them out to sort it out, it is a pain but at least with this set up whatever the problem it will all be BTs problem to fix.
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Apr-11 20:39:32
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

It is a heat related issue. The modem works okay if placed vertically and fails if horizontal.

The problems, separated by a few weeks only occur on the weekend due to a law named after Mr Sod; aka 'Sod's law'.

Don't be bashful, register.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 03-Apr-11 23:25:57
Print Post

I guess I have a good batch - or at least working so far. The openreach modem has been (to my knowledge) 100% reliable and not needed any attention smile
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 04-Apr-11 00:24:11
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Same. Ours has been pretty solid since last July

---
BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up

Click here to see Comparison of FTTC ISPs
Which FTTC ISP do you use?
Standard User colesy10
(learned) Mon 04-Apr-11 08:06:04
Print Post

If you do want to change, there are a few modem/routers being duscussed in this thread here. Although it's mostly about combined modem routers, there are a couple of modems only listed.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 04-Apr-11 08:53:28
Print Post

Mine has been perfect since Feb 18 switch-on. Sits on a desk near a central heating radiator, close to the window with full sunlight on it when we get any as it is a south-facing window.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Apr-11 09:55:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Tried a trick from my Netgear DG 834 days...stood the modem vertically and the better airflow seems to keep the modem cool enough to hold the connection.

The only reason you guys got good modems was because, as usual, I was getting the duff ones wink.

DrT

Standard User systemx
(experienced) Mon 04-Apr-11 10:00:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Might be a good idea to think about moving it before the sun gets too high as Spring turns to Summer.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 04-Apr-11 13:44:43
Print Post

If you think Netgears overheat, try a SpeedTouch 585! Put a griddle plate on top of those and cook your eggs.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to