General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User spssco
(regular) Mon 04-Apr-11 16:41:19
Print Post

Cisco 887V VDSL2

[link to this post]

Hello

I was thinking of moving to Fiber with BT, just like to know whats the best Router for the VDSL2 connection out there. I personally was gonna buy the Cisco 887V and give it a try. Has anyone managed to get the Cisco 887V working on the BT VDSL2 lines?.

Pav

~~PAV~~

O2 ////Speedtouch 586 v7////////
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-Apr-11 16:46:44
Print Post

Re: Cisco 887V VDSL2

[re: spssco] [link to this post]

You are aware that with the VDSL2 Openreach services you are required to use their VDSL2 modem currently?

To terminate that modem in a router, then a generic ethernet router (cable/DSL router) is what you need.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User spssco
(regular) Mon 04-Apr-11 17:07:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

ok so it cannot be done or is that some restriction on the contract you sign with BT. What is BT doing different with there BT modems, they all VDSL2 modems if i am correct, is there some preloaded config ? or user/pass?.

~~PAV~~

O2 ////Speedtouch 586 v7////////

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 04-Apr-11 17:14:19
Print Post

I believe its a contractual obligation, similar to those used by SKY, O2 and Be.
People have used 3rd party hardware and got it to work so it is possible.

Dave
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 05-Apr-11 11:27:09
Print Post

As well as what the others have said, I assume you know that BT Infinity comes with a BT Home Hub 3 as well as the Openreach modem?

Granted - you may not want one of those.

If you want some particular features of the Cisco, can the modem side of it be turned off and it pick up via a WAN ethernet port the output from the modem?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
  Print Thread

Jump to