General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User E_Lovelace
(newbie) Thu 07-Apr-11 19:38:53
Print Post

Told no engineer vist needed for BT Infinity.

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Hope this is the right place for this post.

I am moving over to BT infinity which as I understand it and with the info from there website, a engineer will need to visit my home to fiddle with the master socket.

This was booked for the 11th of this month, but I got an email last night saying that they are sending me the router and hub. Also in the email it said I quote.

"Your appointment is no longer required, as our engineer can connect your line without requiring access to your premises. The engineer will work to connect your line at the exchange."

I have phoned 3 times.

1. I was told that there was trouble with the hand over from O2
2. I can do all the set up my self, not what their website says.
3. they had no record of any of it and I need to reorder.

Has any one else had the same thing I am at wits end, I have booked the day off for the engineer to come.
Standard User Ribble
(regular) Thu 07-Apr-11 20:23:20
Print Post

Re: Told no engineer vist needed for BT Infinity.

[re: E_Lovelace] [link to this post]

Sounds more like a regular ADSL (BT Total Broadband ) order than BT Infinity (Fibre To The Cabinet) order which as you know will require an engineer appoinment to your premises
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 07-Apr-11 20:45:22
Print Post

[re: E_Lovelace] [link to this post]

Send a private message to BT_Care on these forums with the information. The people running that account seem helpful.

---
BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up

Click here to see Comparison of FTTC ISPs
Which FTTC ISP do you use?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User michaelh
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Apr-11 14:07:15
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
Sounds more like a regular ADSL (BT Total Broadband ) order than BT Infinity (Fibre To The Cabinet) order which as you know will require an engineer appoinment to your premises

What does the engineer do at the house?

My router is not plugged into the master socket - it's plugged into an extension which was installed by electricians when the house was built and that wiring slows the speed down from 7.8Meg to 6.4Meg, but it is convenient to have the router in the study so I can connect the PC by Ethernet - will this still be possible with FTTC?

Michael
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Apr-11 17:58:19
Print Post

[re: michaelh] [link to this post]

The engineer will have to make sure that the point at which the modem connects is the master socket. They can, however, if required fit a 'data extension kit' up to 30m. (Not that far in practice, it takes about 4m to go over a door frame.) They also have the option to do a 'home wiring solution.' If, for instance the dropwire feed comes down the premises past the window where the router is currently sat, then can reroute it and make that the NTE, and reprovide the feed to the old NTE as a master. There is always more than one way to skin a cat. If and when the engineer comes, it would be well worth mentioning the negative affect your current extension has, so as to ensure the don't try and use any of that.

Standard User nalla
(regular) Thu 21-Apr-11 22:56:33
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

an engineer is always needed for fttc, as he need tophysically move the connection from one cab to another, and then test the connection before leaving, a self install for fttc is a long way off if near inposible.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 21-Apr-11 23:10:06
Print Post

[re: nalla] [link to this post]

Not much different to a move to LLU, and they don't need an engineer to visit the premises.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 21-Apr-11 23:16:31
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

you r wrong bill !! they do need a engineer for fttc
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 21-Apr-11 23:21:30
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

For now, yes I know.

But for much longer?

Unlikely.

I've been on FTTC since last August, btw.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM

Edited by billford (Thu 21-Apr-11 23:22:29)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 21-Apr-11 23:24:16
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

you best to edit your post and chage to "they do " !
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to