General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User planetming
(newbie) Sat 09-Apr-11 17:10:11
Print Post

BT Broadband with fibre (sub 15Mbps product)

[link to this post]

Read something on Digitalspy forum about BT Broadband with fibre.
See http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=...

Does anyone know any details of the product?

Robert
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 14.1Mbps and upstream line speed of 4.8Mbps.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 09-Apr-11 17:17:51
Print Post

Re: BT Broadband with fibre (sub 15Mbps product)

[re: planetming] [link to this post]

This is just what other ISPs have been offering for ages, accepting orders for <15Mbps FTTC estimates. They are just giving it a different name, presumably so that they can give separate stats for "infinity" by cherry-picking customers in this way.

Keep all of [censored] speed customers together, then wax lyrical about how great Infinity "fibre" is.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 09-Apr-11 17:19:26
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Incidentally, the word censored was only the common Americanism for "rubbish", and I'm extremely surprised such a mild word was filtered.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 09-Apr-11 17:19:53
Print Post

[re: planetming] [link to this post]

I'm not sure what the question is as most of it is covered in that link.

From posts on these forums it seems to be an open trial, so it isn't on the website, but with luck if you ring up you will get someone who has heard of it.

Some of the other FTTC suppliers have been taking orders for under 15Mbps for months.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 09-Apr-11 17:23:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Incidentally, the word censored was only the common Americanism for "rubbish", and I'm extremely surprised such a mild word was filtered.
This is not an American website.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 09-Apr-11 17:23:32
Print Post

tongue
Yes, it's very poor smile. Lousy even. Pathetically so.

Several other alternatives I expect if I engaged brain.

Anyway, surely we could do with 90% of Americanisms being filtered from everything in this country?

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 09-Apr-11 17:28:47
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

But we are used to people carping here. In fact one of the forums, ISP Unhappiness, is there specifically for the purpose.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 09-Apr-11 17:29:01
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:

I'm fully aware of that Bill. I simply wished to point out that the word censored was not extremely rude, and did not wish for anyone to construe it as such - hence the clarification.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 09-Apr-11 17:39:20
Print Post

the word censored was not extremely rude
A huge number of people regard it as such, even these days.
I don't count myself amongst those, and agree with you that censoring it here is borderline, but it isn't a word I would use in normal conversation, nor can I remember any of my friends, acquaintances or family using it.

In this country it is far from losing its defecatory connotations, even though it may have done so in America. They have dumped it for that meaning.

It isn't as if there is no suitable alternative.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 09-Apr-11 18:23:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
the word censored was not extremely rude
A huge number of people regard it as such, even these days.
I don't count myself amongst those, and agree with you that censoring it here is borderline, but it isn't a word I would use in normal conversation, nor can I remember any of my friends, acquaintances or family using it.

In this country it is far from losing its defecatory connotations, even though it may have done so in America. They have dumped it for that meaning.

It isn't as if there is no suitable alternative.

Clearly that is gross over-exaggeration and I disagree entirely with regards to its common lexical usage. For a start I am English, and it was a simple and innocent point. I didn't make a fuss, I'm not certain why you must verbosely pontificate. Perhaps it is pleasing to be supercilious.

Anyway, this is away from the point I was attempting to make with regards to offering a separate product, which uses the same central technologies as their BT Infinity line. I presume they will want to protect their primary fibre service from having a low average speed, so splitting off slower speed consumers is one way to do that. This would mean that they would not aggregate these products together under the "infinity fibre" banner.

There could be some other reasons, so it would be interesting to hear theories. However, I think it would clearly make a mockery of their "FTTC is fibre" assertions if people are unable to get 15Mbps on their headline offerings.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to