General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User griff_90
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Apr-11 18:50:35
Print Post

Reset IP Profile

[link to this post]

Hopefully this is a pretty simple question but then again..

Is it possible to have your IP Profile reset on BTW's FTTC/VDSL2 product?

I have reason to believe my profile is stuck and my ISP tell me "it's physically impossible" to get the IP Profile reset yet others have told me they've approached their ISP's who have passed on the request and it's been done.

Does anyone know for certain which scenario is true?

Edited by griff_90 (Sat 09-Apr-11 18:51:02)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 09-Apr-11 19:04:11
Print Post

Re: Reset IP Profile

[re: griff_90] [link to this post]

Which ISP, and what does a BT speed test say?

Edit - ah I see from your profile - IDNet. But I haven't heard of anyone needinga reset - was it on these forums?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 09-Apr-11 19:05:37)

Standard User griff_90
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Apr-11 19:10:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

IDNET

IP Profile for your line is -36677 Kbps

I've had FTTC/VDSL2 for 9 months now and in that period the IP Profile has changed but it's always gone back to 38,718 Kbps. Now it's been "stuck" at 36,677 Kbps for weeks.

Regarding the reset I read it on these forums but it was a couple of months ago and I can't locate the post now.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Apr-11 19:17:50
Print Post

I know its not what you want to hear but BT are unlikely to manually action a reset without a fight for such a small difference between 36 and 38Mb - as the service/speed is well in the "acceptable limit". I know it's not right, but ultimately they don't have to reset it and I know how difficult it can sometimes be to get them to action such a reset. It involves lots of persistence but can be done.

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk
Standard User griff_90
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Apr-11 19:19:46
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

Thanks James.

I literally just wanted to know if it was possible or not as I'd been categorically told it was "physically impossible".

I suspected it may be difficult, even extremely difficult, to get it reset but I thought stating it was physically impossible was a little misleading to say the least.

As you say my current IP Profile isn't far from the maximum so it's not really that much of an issue for me. I just wanted clarification more than anything else.

Edited by griff_90 (Sat 09-Apr-11 19:21:29)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 09-Apr-11 19:31:55
Print Post

Maybe more takeup on your cabinet and cross-talk has hit you?

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 09-Apr-11 19:52:35
Print Post

I can't be sure, but I don't think the DLM profile works in the same way on VDSL2 as it does on ADSLx.

I get about 2-3 resyncs a week, sometimes more, and the pattern seems to be that the profile is immediately set to just below whatever the new sync speed is.

There doesn't appear to be the delay that happens after an ADSLx low-speed event.

I think Bob is probably right- more cabinet take-up = more cross-talk = lower speed frown

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 09-Apr-11 20:34:42
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
I can't be sure, but I don't think the DLM profile works in the same way on VDSL2 as it does on ADSLx.
You are correct.
I get about 2-3 resyncs a week, sometimes more, and the pattern seems to be that the profile is immediately set to just below whatever the new sync speed is.

There doesn't appear to be the delay that happens after an ADSLx low-speed event.
A few weeks ago I found an Openreach document, I thought it was a SIN, but can't find it now, which explained how the Openreach DLM for FTTC works. It was quite categoric that it was expected to update much more quickly on speed increases, due to the way the BRAS was updated.

I shall look again some other time.
I think Bob is probably right ....
Awww. Troppo buono da parte tua!

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 09-Apr-11 20:35:29)

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Apr-11 15:15:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by griff_90:
Hopefully this is a pretty simple question but then again..

Is it possible to have your IP Profile reset on BTW's FTTC/VDSL2 product?

I have reason to believe my profile is stuck and my ISP tell me "it's physically impossible" to get the IP Profile reset yet others have told me they've approached their ISP's who have passed on the request and it's been done.

Does anyone know for certain which scenario is true?

I can categorically state that it CAN be done and with a single phone call. That is what the engineer did the last time he was here to replace a faulty modem. I am waiting on one now to replace another faulty modem and I also hope to get the profile reset again. Max d/l down from 3.6 > 2.3 MB/s (hope I've used the correct units).

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Apr-11 15:19:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
A few weeks ago I found an Openreach document, I thought it was a SIN, but can't find it now, which explained how the Openreach DLM for FTTC works. It was quite categoric that it was expected to update much more quickly on speed increases, due to the way the BRAS was updated.

My profile seemed to automatically get close to the normal one after about 2 days of stability. Unfortunately, I cannot get any stats...just noticed that my max d/l speed took a big jump before my wife cleaned in the computer room and lay the modem flat again, allowing it to get hotter <shakes head>.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to