General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 11-Apr-11 22:26:25
Print Post

A thought re routers

[link to this post]

As the FTTC modem can be connected directly to a computer ethernet port, for non-BT broadband users is there any reason Internet Connection Sharing cannot be used through the ethernet switch/hub of the user's existing ADSL router?

If it can be used, what about the WAP? I have a feeling that needs the routing bit working, so DHCP to be disabled?

For those who already have gigabit switches feeding off their ADSL routers, then I imagine the ICS could certainly run through that with no router required? As could a WAP?

If any or all of the above is feasible, the "Pro" is the cost saving. Is there a "Con" re performance?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Mon 11-Apr-11 22:46:10
Print Post

Re: A thought re routers

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

ICS requires a 'serving' PC with two ethernet ports. One to the gateway and one to the ICS network. If the PC is off, then so is the Internet to said network. PC1 must also be up to the task of serving the data to the other nodes (so it can't be a 486 tongue ).

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011 - All rights and lefts reserved.

report this link
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Apr-11 09:45:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Con power consumption of an average spec PC left on all the time, doing what a small 7W box could probably do better.
An old PC with low power consumption and linux might do the job, but again more of a box builder solution than average consumer.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Dash
(regular) Tue 12-Apr-11 16:23:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

If on the other hand you have a computer already running to provide NAS and other services then you could chuck an extra NIC into this and use it.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 12-Apr-11 22:26:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

A good point on the face of it, but on the other hand most non-Infinity users, (which is what my OP is about), seem to have been brain-washed into buying routers at £70+, many above £100, where the Buffalo WHR-G300N I keep recommending is under £30.

£70 buys one heck of a lot of electricity(/PC hours). Even £30 does so.

I would also query the proportion even now where overnight access by multiple computers is needed 365. Though maybe a higher proportion on FTTC users than on ADSLx.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 12-Apr-11 22:28:22)

Print Thread

Jump to